Rename EFI paths? Procedure for deleting boot item?

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Gary Seven

Rename EFI paths? Procedure for deleting boot item?

Post by Gary Seven »

Hello all and a Happy New to all.

Been experimenting with Arch Linux installs (command line only) and have worked out how to do now with BIU. Now a couple of questions regarding deleting an install and what to do with the EFI path that was created during the install.

1. Is removing an OS install from a discrete, stand-alone drive (or shared partition for that matter) just a matter of deleting the partition(s) on the drive in question, and them deleting the Boot item? If not, do I need to go into the EFI directory and look for the installed path and delete it as well?
work with partitions
work with partitions
img1.jpg (44.07 KiB) Viewed 2700 times
2. Sort of related to Q1, how does one rename the path name of the newly installed OS assigned to the EFI directory? Do I highlight EFI System as shown in the image above and then choose Edit File from the Actions panel? I know I seem dense here, but I tried that just so I could inspect the path name, but I see no way to actually edit it. Also, I don't want to edit anything without knowing the implications to how that will affect the boot process. Another thing, if I am able to change directory and/or path name for my OS install, must I also edit some conf file in the /boot/EFI folder in Arch as well?

Edit: Here is an image of my Arch Boot item. As you can see, the directory was named "GRUB.001" which I would rather have as "ARCH.001." How the heck does one do this?
Arch boot item showing path
Arch boot item showing path
IMG5_edit.jpg (73.74 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
Thank you!
Brian K

Re: Rename EFI paths? Procedure for deleting boot item?

Post by Brian K »

Gary,

In the BIU video there are two methods describing how to delete the folders containing the boot files. TeraByte Explorer and Scripting.
Gary Seven

Post by Gary Seven »

Brian K wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:38 pm Gary,

In the BIU video there are two methods describing how to delete the folders containing the boot files. TeraByte Explorer and Scripting.
Ok, I didn't notice that when I watched the video a few days ago. I wish this had been in the manual. This is what irks me about Terabyte's documentation and hence the venom of my other post. I realize the developer (David?) is a programmer and not a writer, but the missing important details is enough to make me pull my hair out.

I'll take a look at your suggestion. Not sure how to enter the scripting part to get to command line (which I prefer), but will look over all nonetheless. I guess I should stay away from trying to rename EFI boot paths just to please my eyes, right?

Edit: Ok, I see where the "scripting" choice is under the main menu. I also see how to use the TBE utility using "Run." So that's how you delete the EFI path after removing the associated partitions. I noticed that the command line behavior using scripting in not at all like in Linux, so maybe I should stay away from that?
Last edited by Gary Seven on Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I tried renaming ubuntu.001 to arch.001. The OS no longer booted.
Gary Seven

Post by Gary Seven »

Brian K wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:43 am I tried renaming ubuntu.001 to arch.001. The OS no longer booted.
Thanks for being the guinea pig on that. ;) Yeah, that's what I thought would happen. Without a doubt there's at least one conf file that would have to be edited on the Ubuntu/Arch/whatever OS install partition. And god-only-knows what else files would have to be edited as well to point the boot loader correctly. Guess it's not a big deal but I'm curious anyway.