Bought Bootit UEFI today...

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Gary Seven

Re: Bought Bootit UEFI today...

Post by Gary Seven »

Brian K wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:48 pm Gary,

Regarding page 59 in the BIU manual. Here is a Menu Item I've just created. All Win10 items should have the same fields. Apart from the HD containing the EFI System Partition.

1b.jpg

When I click OK I get this...

2b.jpg

I click Yes.

When I try to boot the item I get this...

3b.jpg

I press Ctrl-Alt-Del and boot the Win10 UFD and proceed with the install.

Where do we differ?
Thankyou, Brian. So ok, I get exactly the same thing as your three images. I guess where we "differ" is the error message in Image 3. Correct me if I'm wrong but this message is explained no where in the manual. Yes, I know there's a mention to just insert in a dummy path in the "EFI Partition path" as shown in image 1b (which I tried), but I was fooled by the final error message.

Ok, now I see in Item 10 on p.59 the following: 10. Boot the new boot item that you created in Step 3. This can be either a simulated boot (hold down the left Shift while selecting Boot or hold down the left Shift and press Enter) or an actual boot attempt (either type will configure the partitions as setup in the boot item). A simulated boot won’t try to boot the item, while an actual boot attempt will (if the boot file isn’t found an error message will be displayed). I guess this wasn't clear to me, I'm sorry. Upon rereading it, it is, but too bad there isn't some statement to the effect that this is normal behavior, and here is where you boot out of BIU and direct to your install thumb drive (or something along that line).

I really wish some effort had been put in explaining the EFI partition path, how the entry is made (meaning exactly what and exactly where do I type in the relavent path info, should I feel like doing this manually). I would have loved to see a paragraph or two on what exactly is taking place between BIU and the UEFI installer at that critical point of the OS installation.