Problem with bcd store after MBR to GPT conversion

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
rockstream

Problem with bcd store after MBR to GPT conversion

Post by rockstream »

I used chgdtype to convert an MBR drive with a Windows 10 and recovery partitions to GPT. The process completed without error (it removed the old BIBM EMBR partition and added EFI and MS system reserved partitions) and then I proceeded to install BIU, and configure the boot entry, which also worked.

I am able to boot into Windows 10 via BIU without error but cannot access WInRE. I tried:

Code: Select all

reagentc /disable
reagentc /enable
and I get:
REAGENTC.EXE: The Windows RE image was not found

A listing of the partitions in that drive from diskpart, showing the recovery, reserved and EFI partitions:
Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 461 GB 31 KB
Partition 2 Recovery 3475 MB 461 GB
Partition 3 Reserved 16 MB 464 GB
Partition 4 System 450 MB 465 GB

Now when I try to show the BCD via bcdedit /enum all, I get the following message:

The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
The system cannot find the file specified.

There is a BCD data store in the EFI partition (if I assign S: to the EFI partition, the store is at S:\EFI\Microsoft.001\Boot\BCD). Using the \store option I can have bcdedit show me the contents of that store but it appears windows cannot find the store during boot. I selected the option to have BIU manage the EFI directories (bit 55 flag in the EFI partition) when installing BIU.

What should I do to have Windows be able to find the BCD store?
rockstream

Re: Problem with bcd store after MBR to GPT conversion

Post by rockstream »

I figured out the solution

In the BIU edit menu item screen, check the "Rename Directory" option.

That fixed the problem and now bcdedit finds the system store properly and the recovery environment is again enabled.
Brian K

Re: Problem with bcd store after MBR to GPT conversion

Post by Brian K »

rockstream,

Thanks for the solution.