New Dell laptop with Windows 10 Pro with Windows 11 Pro

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
ohaya

New Dell laptop with Windows 10 Pro with Windows 11 Pro

Post by ohaya »

Hi,

I just purchased a new Dell laptop that will come with Windows 10 Pro installed, but also has a license for WIndows 11 Pro. The machine comes with a 512GB SSD, and has 2 SSD slots, but one of the slots (the one that comes with Windows installed) will have a 512GB 2280 nvme SSD, and the other slot, which can take a 2230 SSD, is empty.

I have some licenses for the standalone imaging apps, but I don't think that I use them. I do image backups (e.g., of Windows) but I use BIBM imaging to do that (I think it, in turn, uses image for DOS), so I am going to purchase a new license for BIBM, so I was wondering, given what I just said, is there any reason that I need to purchase the Special Bundle, or would just getting the Bootit Collection be sufficient for me?

I'm not planning to moving immediately to Windows 11, but wouldn't mind installing it on the new machine, and multiboot between Windows 10 Pro and Windows 11 Pro.

I haven't actually received the new laptop yet, so I don't know what the filesystem looks like yet. Does anyone know? Will it have secure boot enabled, etc. enabled and be using UEFI and GPT instead of MBR?

As far as the original Windows 10, I am planning to make the recovery media for that before I do anything, but after that, how do I get BIBM installed? Do I just run the BIBM installer and will the installer take care of making a small partition for BIBM, etc. (it has been a LONG time since I've had a new machine)?

After I have done that (created the recovery media and installed BIBM) should I remove the recovery partition from the hard drive?

Thanks, and apologies for all the questions!

Jim
Brian K

Re: New Dell laptop with Windows 10 Pro with Windows 11 Pro

Post by Brian K »

Jim,

Exciting Xmas present. The computer will be UEFI with Secure Boot enabled. You will use BIU, not BIBM.

Installation of BIU is easy. Just follow the prompts. It will install into the ESP. You don't have to create another partition.

Your TeraByte Unlimited licenses are good for 5 home computers. But you probably don't have a BIU license.
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

Hi Brian,

I just checked, and I think that I do have a BIU license.

I went to the product page and just downloaded the latest Bootit Collection from there, but for the BIU installation (assuming that, as I said, I do want to continue to use BIBM/BIU for imaging), do I need to download any of the image downloads? Or is just the Bootit Collection itself enough?

[If I recall, I think I normally make a bootable CD or USB, using makedisk.exe.]

Also for use with BIU, if I do need an image product/download, would I need to use/download Image for DOS GUI (which I think I did with BIBM) or, Image for UEFI GUI (for use with BIU on the new machine)?

Sorry again for all the questions!!

Jim

P.S. One more question: For Windows 10 and 11, are the warnings about Fast Startup still applicable?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Jim, same warning about Fast Startup.

It looks like you don't need the other imaging apps. In UEFI, IFU replaces IFD. You can run IFU from installed BIU, from BIU boot media or IFU boot media.

For BootIt and IFU updates, just use the download page as you have been doing.

Other questions? Running Win10 and Win11 as a dual boot will be easy.
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

Hi Brian,

Thanks!

Jim
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

Hi,

I just received the new laptop (Dell Vostro 7510) today.

I made a new USB stick with BIU (the latest) and looking at Partition Manager this is what it looks like:
VOSTRO-SHRUNK-Image00001.jpg
VOSTRO-SHRUNK-Image00001.jpg (57.82 KiB) Viewed 3255 times
I'm assuming that the "Basic Data Partition" is the Windows 10 C: drive?

I made the recovery USB using both the "Dell USB Recovery tool" and also another recovery using the "Windows Create Recovery Media", but I haven't been able to figure out how to use those yet (I have not been to boot either of those USB sticks), so I want to be more careful, so, I tried to do "edit file" on that partition, but it said "Unable to mount filesystem".

Shouldn't I be able to see the files on that partition?

Am I safe to just run the BIU installation?

Thanks,
Jim
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

Hi,

So I went ahead and installed BIU and it seems to be working.... but now, I have been setting my apps up in Windows 10 Pro, and I've run into a strange problem, where I can install Google Chrome, but Chrome won't start. I have tried multiple times, including trying to install using the Chrome offline installer, but still doesn't work, so now, I think I want to try to recover the system to the state it was at originally (e.g., using the Dell recovery), but I was wondering: Can I just run that recovery? Will the fact that BIU is now installed in the ESP prevent the recovery from working?

Has anyone tried a dell recovery after installing BIU?

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT: I was checking the properties in that main partition, to try to disable Fast Startup, but I don't see anything about Fast Startup there?
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

Hi,

See the other post - Bitlocker was on for the C: partition. After I turned off Bitlocker, I can now do "edit files" in partition manager and see the files.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Jim, I'd forgotten about the Dell BitLocker setting. It's a pain. Can you see Fast Startup in Properties now?
ohaya

Post by ohaya »

Hi Brian,

It is stupid (to me) that Dell allows the drive encryption out-of-box to begin with, and even Dell Support did not mention when I did 2 chat sessions with them. I think the Vostro is a kind of semi-business+semi-personal product line, so that is probably why they do that, but it is still kind of bad that they don't tell you that really clearly.

Yes, I was able to see the "Disable Fast Startup" button in Properties and was able to disable it. FYI, I also separately disabled hibernation using command line (I generally don't like hibernation being ON on any of my machines).

Actually, I had mentioned about not being able to do Edit Files and I SHOULD have mentioned that there also something (I forget exact wording) appearing about Bitlocker, either in the PM or in Properties. I should've posted another screenshot with that. That was the main "hint" :)...

The laptop seems to be ok now. Only other thing was that I had a hard time getting Google Chrome to work. For some reason, when I did the first installation, it made a directory that Windows now says is corrupted or inaccessible or in use. I was able to rename that dir (weird that it would let me rename it but it still won't let me delete it, even in safe mode), and then I was able to use the full offline installer to install Chrome. I'm thinking that the disk having the Bitlocker on/encrypted may've caused that, but I can't clean it up completely.

Also, now that I have BIU working and can see the files, I did a full BIU backup, so if I wanted to reduce the C: drive size, can I do that using PM resize? I have not worked much with BIU and with GPT partitions :(...

Thanks, and I hope you all have a happy holiday and thanks for being there for all of us BING/BIBM/BIU users all of these years!

Later,
Jim