USB drives not seen in PW

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
skipro

USB drives not seen in PW

Post by skipro »

When I go to USB bus, no USB drives are usually seen or when it does recognize a drive, the info is garbled. Screen frequently freezes. Tried different Collection/BIBM versions, different computers, different drives. All are seen in Win10.
Is this a BIOS issue?
TeraByte Support

Re: USB drives not seen in PW

Post by TeraByte Support »

if you have usb legacy support setup then use BIOS to access them (typically have to be attached at boot in that case). BIBM is the only one with a USB bus option, supports USB1 (UHCI) and USB2. USB3 controllers won't see anything, use the BIOS USB legacy support. There are also a couple of USB hang options you can enabled in settings.
skipro

Post by skipro »

What do you mean by "legacy support setup"? Is this a BIOS setting? If so, it is not a setting in my BIOS.

In settings I enabled:
USB 1.1
USB Controller hang fix
USB Device hang fix

I then retried my USB HD and it showed in PW / BIOS. Great. Rebooted to see if this was the fix and it would not appear in PW / Bios, even after many reboots and total shut down - restarts. Tried another HD, same, would not show in BIOS. Tried a third and eventually I got it to show in PW/BIOS. Rebooted and it was gone. Many times when the HD does not show in BIOS, it shows in USB, but freezes screen.
I have tried USB1 and USB2 ports, same results. Which should I use for best results?
The HDs always show in windows.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

skipro,

Can you try Partition Work in IFL. It's likely to see your USB hard drives. Every time.
skipro

Post by skipro »

Brian,
Thank you for your suggestion. Win10 and IFW sees USB HD, but IFW only makes a backup file, I want to copy/paste partition and only BIBM can do that.
Anyone know an alternative method?
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

skipro,

So you have Win10 on a MBR computer. Can you tell us what you would like to copy? From where to where? Do you want Win10 on the USB external HD?
skipro

Post by skipro »

""Do you want Win10 on the USB external HD?""
Yes, I would like to copy partitions, usually OS onto a second HD and as I now only have a laptop, I cannot add a second HD other than USB.

I am puzzled why the USB HD shows in PW/BIOS only intermittently.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

The imaging programs can "copy" a partition as well. If you're using legacy USB support, then it would be your BIOS. Typically has to be attached at boot for it to work, maybe issue between the device and host chipset that causes some type of timing issue? Disable quick start in your BIOS may help as well. If using USB bus in BIBM and your keyboard is USB, see https://kb.terabyteunlimited.com/kb-art ... sb-drives/
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

skipro wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:51 pm Brian,
Thank you for your suggestion. Win10 and IFW sees USB HD, but IFW only makes a backup file, I want to copy/paste partition and only BIBM can do that.
Anyone know an alternative method?
The suggestion was to try Partition Work in IFL whixh you seen not to have done.
skipro

Post by skipro »

Do the "Image" programs have "partition works" as I know it in BING and BIBM? Is there another "partition works"? Is see references to "partition works" in 2 replies.
Last edited by skipro on Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.