Installation error Win 10 Pro 21H1 into GPT Partition

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
pcbugfixer

Installation error Win 10 Pro 21H1 into GPT Partition

Post by pcbugfixer »

G'day Folks,

I have this monster of a Workstation System in a Tower case.
The Motherboard is a ASRock X79 Extreme6 on which I have a Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2697 v2 @ 2.70GHz, 2701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s) mounted with 64.0 GB Physical Memory and the Graphic card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960.
I then have a special "8 Channels PCI-Express Serial ATA III Host Controller Card in a PCI-Express slot, which enables me to have more than the default SATA devices and I have 2 Optical Drives both LG Blu-Ray Disc BD Rewriter MDisk and 10 HDD WD Red (WD8003FFBX) SATA 8Gb/s 8TB capacity each (= 80TB storage capacity) mounted in 2 cages 5 HDD in each - All this installed in a Lian-Li Tower Case.

I have installed the Terabyteunlimited BootIt UEFI 1.27 boot Manager to then enable me to install more than 4 Operating systems, actually up to 32 if I wanted which I don't and only want to install about 12 all together.
Current OS's installed on the 1st HDD obviously each in their own Partition - Win 7 Pro / Win 8.1 / and Win 10 Pro, all in GPT partitions.
The disk on which they are installed is a GPT format structure as are all the other HDD's

Now to the problem:
I want to install a fresh copy of Win 10 Pro in a new partition 2TB in size (formatted) with nothing on it.
I have booted with the UEFI parameters and selected the UEFI Optical option in which the Win 10 Pro 21H1 is mounted (Downloaded from Microsoft).

Now booting from the Optical drive and going through the instructions and finally selecting the @ TB partition I then get the message;
"Setup was unable to use the existing partition because the system volume does not contain the required free space"

Obviously I have checked the BIOS setting and all, I think, others that might impede me with the installation and have tried different installation parameters but alas all end up with the same error message.

Help please;
Anyone have any ideas as o what maybe my issue?
- and what the fix is for it please?

Regards
Roger Hass / PC-Bug Fixer now in Tanilba Bay NSW 2319 Australia
Brian K

Re: Installation error Win 10 Pro 21H1 into GPT Partition

Post by Brian K »

Roger,

Just one question at present. What is the size of your EFI system partition? Is it 100 MiB?

Impressive hardware.
pcbugfixer

Post by pcbugfixer »

G'day Brian K.,

The GPT (EFI System Partition) is 301.96 MB Capacity and 301.95MB used with 12.00KB unused and its Status is System

MB -V- MiB do I need to convert this ?

Regards
pcbugfixer
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Roger,

When a new Windows OS is installed, a Microsoft.xxx folder is created in the ESP and it's about 27 MiB. On your figures you don't have enough room for another Windows OS. Where did you get those figures? Can you get them from BIU Partition Work by selecting the ESP, Properties, Details. My BIU figures only show integers. I see Free and Used figures.

Windows reports file and partition sizes in MB but it's really all MiB. TeraByte apps use MiB.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Roger,

All OK? Have you resized the ESP?
pcbugfixer

Post by pcbugfixer »

G'day Brian K.,

With this workstation configuration I needed to be careful in what I did and installed and how I did it so not to stuff-up the workstation and other OS's.

Hence the time to keep you up to date.

Yes I resized the ESP which after waiting on EaseUs to confirm that their EASEUS Partition Master 11.9 Technician Edition Multilingual was able to change the ESP to enlarge it. Yes I was able to use it and it is now 1102.0 MB in size. (suggested was only 500MB however with the large OS's I opted for the larger size)

I have since installed "Ubuntu Desktop" working like a charm, "Ubuntu Server" having login problems wont enter the password in the password field so I have to re-install it and try to figure it out as to why obviously it does not install correctly.
Also, "Win 10 Enterprise" and "Win Server 2012R2 Data Center" (180 day version) ae installed. I lost the keys for them so I need to look harder for them, however in the mean time they load to their respective desktops and work.

To summarise the installations;
Win7Pro64bit / Win81Pro / Win 10 Pro / Win 10 Ent / Ubuntu Desktop / Ubuntu Server / Win Server 2012R2 Data Center - are installed so far.
- I still need to install "Win server 2016 and 2019.

For some reason Win 11 Pro wont install suggesting that my hardware is not up to scratch. They must be kidding me :)
- If Microsoft thinks that users are about to buy new computers that meet he Win 11 requirement, I think they are playing a Fools Game and kidding themselves.

OK end it here.

Thanks Brian K., for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

pcbugfixer wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:32 am
For some reason Win 11 Pro wont install suggesting that my hardware is not up to scratch.
Roger,

Thanks for the feedback.

You can use Rufus to make a special Win11 UFD. This will install Win11 on "incompatible" computers.

With Rufus, select "Extended Win11 install (No TPM / no Secure Boot)"
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

There is also a registry edit that supposedly allows installing Win 11 on unsupported CPUs.

https://www.theverge.com/22715331/how-t ... ry-regedit

I haven't tried it and Microsoft has supposedly "not guaranteed" to continue to provide updates to Win 11 if it's on unsupported hardware despite obviously creating the registry value that allows such installations.
pcbugfixer

Post by pcbugfixer »

G'day Folks,

Thanks Brian K., and Bob Coleman for the info.
Brian with the Rufus, I tried it with other applications and sometimes it does not pick up the ISO correctly but I will try anything more than once :)
I Will try the link Bob and see how it goes.
Will also let you know the result of the Win 11 Pro, as I have room I might install both.

Regards
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Roger, using Rufus I installed a fresh Win11 to a ten year old computer with a second generation Intel CPU and no TPM. It runs fine from a SSD. It's a disaster (slow) on a HD.