Dissabling BootIT modifying the boot menu

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
nemesis

Dissabling BootIT modifying the boot menu

Post by nemesis »

Hi,

I've noticed BootIT added boot items at times. Haven't been able to deduce why this is happening. However I need to dissable this.

How would I go about dissabling it?
TeraByte Support

Re: Dissabling BootIT modifying the boot menu

Post by TeraByte Support »

BootIt UEFI will create new items when a new install occurs (you should always start the install booting to BootIt UEFI first).

BootIt BM will if muti-os is enabled, and depends on the files in your group and what actions you have it doing.
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Hi, BootIT should not be creating items!

It does NOT do it on install, but on (new OS) boot. The restore is done through WinPE with Image for Windows. The boot process can either go through BootIT or from USB driectly.

The menu is edited from TBSScript. BootIT should not touch it unless ordered. This is a blocking for our use case and the occurence is intermittend.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Davy,

Can you give us some examples of what you are experiencing. My BIU doesn't create inappropriate Boot Items.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

If you have the option for BIU to manage it, if a new files are detected, it will create a new boot item for it. You can always disable the mange option for the EFI System partition.
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

TeraByte Support wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:05 am If you have the option for BIU to manage it, if a new files are detected, it will create a new boot item for it. You can always disable the mange option for the EFI System partition.
This isn't an option. We generate the "correct" menu based on a number of things and the results need to be consistant!
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Brian K wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:46 pm Davy,

Can you give us some examples of what you are experiencing. My BIU doesn't create inappropriate Boot Items.
Hi Brian,

The system:
- EFI Partition (contains the Windows 10 GuestOS BCD's, Microsoft.001, Microsoft.002 and so on)
- Clone Partition (WinPE Image for Windows, has it's BCD and such on this partition)
- (Possible) Windows 10 Guest OS 1
- (Possible) Windows 10 Guest OS 2
- (Possible) Windows 10 Guest OS X

The functionality:
- Restore (Guest OS) from CD/DVD/HDD/Network, fully scripted
- Backup (Guest OS) to CD/DVD/HDD/Network, fully scripted
- Clone (Guest OS), fully scripted, 1 -> 2 or 2 -> 1

The issue:
- At random times a menu option will be added between logins into Windows Guest OS and scripted actions
- The menu option gets added as the last option, it has a Windows icon (which I do not bother with myself) and the name of the BCD entry

The solution:
- BootIT may never change the Boot menu without a explicit command to do so!
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Davy,

So the extra boot item you are seeing is shortly after the Windows OS commences to boot. Is this correct?
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Brian K wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:29 pm Davy,

So the extra boot item you are seeing is shortly after the Windows OS commences to boot. Is this correct?
Yes, this seems to be the case. I have the rename Microsoft folder enabled. So I though this might be the reason.

In the end though. BootIT should come with a "do not try to do magic fixing" option. At least for commercial solutions.

I do not want a multi million euro machine doing anything I have not scripted! For a production machine suprises are the enemy.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Davy, this is a Microsoft multi-boot menu and has nothing to do with BootIt. You can get the same menu without BootIt.