Preventing MBR Overwrite

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
kskruser

Preventing MBR Overwrite

Post by kskruser »

I've been using IFL (CLI version) for some time now... I have purchased a full-use copy (IFLNET, version 3.46, loaded and booting from a USB thumb-drive).

I have one issue that I have not been able to resolve, including reading and re-reading the IFL User Manual - Namely, I want to do a single-partition backup and NOT RESTORE THE FIRST TRACK of the disk. (This is an older MBR system - I am multi-booting using a 3rd-party boot manager - thus I don't want to mess with the system MBR.)

The manual seems to indicate that I can disable this, on a partition restore, un-checking the "RESTORE FIRST TRACK" option - However I never see this option, whether using the "Automatic" or "Normal" restore methods.

Thus far I have gotten around this simply by making sure my MBR never changes prior to any backup, so that over-writing it does not change anything. However, I still want to know how I can disable over-writing the MBR completely during partition restore from a TBI image file.

I have a feeling I'm missing something simple! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any comments.

-Richard
Brian K

Re: Preventing MBR Overwrite

Post by Brian K »

Richard,

Unless you select "Write Standard MBR Code", the boot code will not be overwritten when you do a restore.
Write Standard MBR Code – If you select this option, Image for Linux will install standard master boot code to the Master Boot Record (MBR) after completing the restore operation. The other portions of the MBR (i.e. the partition table, disk signature, etc.) will not be affected. Otherwise, Image for Linux will only install the standard master boot code when it appears that there is no existing boot code.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

It's in the restore option (normal restore since automatic doesn't show options) when you do a single partition restore. If you don't tick the box to restore first track or write standard mbr code then it won't change the code (unless it appears uninitialized).
kskruser

Post by kskruser »

Thanks, Terabyte Support - I was sure I had tried the "normal" restore mode, but I guess I missed that! That's exactly what I was looking for. I feel kind of dolt-ish ... I KNEW it was simple! Great program(s), BTW!
-OP