I've done something stupid

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
RFSndrs

I've done something stupid

Post by RFSndrs »

I was trying to resize my DATA partition with BIBM and it was taking forever. So I tried to exit and nothing happened and then I rebooted. Well, Ubuntu can't read it. GParted gives me the following:

Bad $MFTMirr lcn 0x7e5af0, want 0x3b9e240
Failed to load $MFTMirr: No such file or directory
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': No such file or directory

Failed to open '/dev/sdb1'.

Bad $MFTMirr lcn 0x7e5af0, want 0x3b9e240
Failed to load $MFTMirr: No such file or directory
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': No such file or directory

Unable to read the contents of this file system!
Because of this some operations may be unavailable.
The cause might be a missing software package.
The following list of software packages is required for ntfs file system support: ntfs-3g / ntfsprogs.

I can read everything in BIBM if I tap on "edit file".
Is there any fix? I'm hoping I can just reinstall the normal MBR and it will work. I haven't done anything yet as I want to wait for an answer.
THX
Bob S
TeraByte Support

Re: I've done something stupid

Post by TeraByte Support »

restoring the backup is what you'd want to do. You probably couldn't access all the files with the correct data (unless you were only expanding NTFS which doesn't actually have to change much). If you don't have a backup, well, you may be out of luck, you may want to backup now, then boot to a windows version then try chkdsk /f but it may erase a bunch of stuff.
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

Thanks, I will try that.
RFSndrs

Post by RFSndrs »

Actually, I was extremely lucky. I have a Windows partition I use for Family Tree Maker, etc. When I booted into Win 10, it recognized my DATA partition, so I copied it, overnight, to my NAS drive. I was able copy 99% of it so I didn't lose much. I then ran a chkdsk and Ubuntu now recognizes the partition again. Thank you for your assistance. Should I do anything else?