Destination Drive too small?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
fairlane32

Re: Destination Drive too small?

Post by fairlane32 »

Brian K wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:22 pm
fairlane32 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:12 pm Image I'm not being shown the NVMe of the Dell that I'm trying to get this image file to.
Sounds like your boot disk doesn't have NVMe drivers.

Try an IFL boot disk. Or this...

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=610
I'm going to try and turn off RAID in the SATA controller area in the BIOS and see if that helps. Wish me luck!
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

Brian K wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:22 pm
fairlane32 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:12 pm Image I'm not being shown the NVMe of the Dell that I'm trying to get this image file to.
Sounds like your boot disk doesn't have NVMe drivers.

Try an IFL boot disk. Or this...

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=610
Hi Brian,
I think I got it to work! I turned off RAID SATA Controllers and chose ACHI and did the Restore and IFW said "HOLD ON SON, EVERYTHING ON hd0 WILL BE LOST, YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THIS? :D It even showed all the partitions on the NVMe and I didn't have to delete them manually, IFW just did it and now it's being written.

I'm curious after it's done, do I need to set the SATA controllers back to RAID or should I leave them set to ACHI? What about Secure Boot or the Boot Sequence, should that be set back to Windows Boot Manager? Can you tell I'm still scared? :o

Thanks for your help.

Philip
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

Oh boy, I think I spoke too soon. Now the BIOS doesn't show any bootable devices. :(
Under drive information it does show the NVMe (M.2 PCIe SSD-0) I'm guessing that I'm in this situation now because the image drive wasn't an NVMe drive but a hybrid drive so now the new PC BIOS can't see anything to boot to it? So, I somehow need to get the NVMe drivers into the system?
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

fairlane32 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:56 pm
Bob Coleman wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:52 pm
fairlane32 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:40 pm

I don't see any of these options within the IFW Settings screens? Where am I looking? I see Resize with Caching listed but not Scale to Fit, Remove Gaps or Compact Data.
You should see those in a list of Restore Options after selecting the source and target and confirming the existing partitions to be deleted.
I thought so too, but after selecting Restore, then highlighting the backup image, there are no Settings or Restore Options. I'm never given those settings to choose. Either with Simple Operations turned on, or off
It sounds like you've got other problems that are beyond me, but for this specific problem, I said you should see Restore Options after:
  • Selecting the source (backup image)
    Selecting the target
    Confirming the scary message about all partitions being deleted
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Philip,

What is the SATA boot mode in the old computer? RAID or AHCI? The mode in the new computer should match.

The delights of restoring to different hardware! In your new computer boot IFL boot media...
OSDTool
Physical Drive
choose Win10
Remove installed drivers
Remove all drivers
Go to Driver install
Install default NVM Express Controller
Go back to menu
Exit
Restart

Any luck in booting?
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

Brian K wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:20 pm Philip,

What is the SATA boot mode in the old computer? RAID or AHCI? The mode in the new computer should match.

The delights of restoring to different hardware! In your new computer boot IFL boot media...
OSDTool
Physical Drive
choose Win10
Remove installed drivers
Remove all drivers
Go to Driver install
Install default NVM Express Controller
Go back to menu
Exit
Restart

Any luck in booting?
Hi Brian,
I don't think I've ever saw those options within the OSDTool? I'm going to write down your steps because it sounds like they are to add NVMe drivers to IFW to use to bring over to the new backup image to use on Restore? Is that the same or similar to getting the NVMe's drivers from Dell's .exe and using something like 7zip to break open the .exe and find the .inf files? If so, I never found them within 7zip, and if I did, is your steps the method to getting them onto the new pc's NVMe drive? It would be so cool if IFW could be able to, from within it's program, go: "Now hold on pilgrim, it looks like your trying to put an image from an older drive hardware onto a new type of drive, which drivers aren't available for, would you like to connect to the Internet to find them? They will be downloaded and added before continuing." :mrgreen:

In any event, with so little time I had before the person who's machine this is was coming back, I decided to just use Dell's Recovery OS tool, got it to boot, and manually put all her stuff from her old machine on it. A pain but what can I do.

I want to thank everyone for their help. I still think IFW is great. Steve Gibson swears by it and I trust him implicitly.

Regards,

Philip
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

TBIDTOOL.TBS can be used to package up drivers needed and auto handle on restore.

BTW Win10 has NVMe drivers, you just have to ask it to install them for you.
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

TeraByte Support wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:21 pm TBIDTOOL.TBS can be used to package up drivers needed and auto handle on restore.

BTW Win10 has NVMe drivers, you just have to ask it to install them for you.
How/when do I ask it to install them? :lol:

Where is the TBIDTOOL? is it within the IFW program when it's launched? If so, and I don't see it, does that mean I need to add it during it's Recovery Boot Disk tool creation?

TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

it's on the boot disk from the launcher menus. the tbosdt manual has in formation on it. OSDTOOL.TBS has an option to add drivers, one will the NVMe for Win10.