Destination Drive too small?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
fairlane32

Destination Drive too small?

Post by fairlane32 »

Hi,
I have an IFW backup .tbi that is around 100gigs, (taken from a older Dell Optiplex's hybrid drive and trying to put it onto a newer Optiplex 5490 (NVMe drive) that's 500gigs, but IFW tells me the drive is too small when I do a simple Restore function. I then thought, well there might be multiple hidden partitions I can delete off the new pc using my Windows 10 boot disk but guess what, the pc won't recognize it to boot, even when I turn off Secure Boot, and I made sure the windows drive made with Rufus was set to UEFI mode. The system refuses to boot the drive so I can wipe out any partitions on the target pc I don't need. Is there something im doing wrong or something IFW has that I can use?

Thanks so much. (I'm hoping its something simple)

Philip
Brian K

Re: Destination Drive too small?

Post by Brian K »

Philip, have you seen...

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=554
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the article. But I'm not trying to put a larger image onto a smaller hard drive, the program is falsely stating that the target drive is too small, when it isn't. I see the options they suggest may work but wouldn't it be easier to just blast all the partitions away and make the Restore use the entire Target drive? I'm trying now to see if putting an updated version of IFW and the BootIT collection onto the flash drive, doesn't it include a partition manager that I can delete any small partitions so the image will be able to be laid down? I thought there was when I bought the Bundle back in 2019.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Philip,

What was the size of the source disk in the old Dell Optiplex?
Last edited by Brian K on Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

If restoring an entire drive image or copying an entire drive:
Use the Scale to Fit option.
If the source partitions (those being restored or copied) have free space between them (partitions not contiguous), also use the Remove Gaps on Restore or Remove Gaps on Copy option.
If there is still not enough free space available, use the Compact Data option. This will compact FAT/FAT32/NTFS partitions during the restore (or copy) operation to fit in the smallest space required to hold the data. Note: A clean file system is required. File system errors that prevent a resize from succeeding will result in a failed operation.

If restoring or copying a single partition:
Try restoring or copying the partition to the destination. If possible, the partition will automatically be resized smaller to fit.
If the selected destination isn't large enough for a normal restore or copy, use the Compact Data option. This will compact FAT/FAT32/NTFS partitions during the restore (or copy) operation to fit in the smallest space required to hold the data. Note: A clean file system is required. File system errors that prevent a resize from succeeding will result in a failed operation.

I don't see any of these options within the IFW Settings screens? Where am I looking? I see Resize with Caching listed but not Scale to Fit, Remove Gaps or Compact Data.

Thanks
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

Brian K wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:31 pm Philip,

What was the size of the source disk?
465.76. GiB is what IFW is reporting

Thanks Brian.

P

P.S. which is why i thought i could delete some smaller partitions (Dell tends to put a gig size recovery partition on their business pc's) to make some room but I dont know how else to do that without loading a Windows boot disk to install a fresh copy of windows and when you get to the choose the location where you want windows to go, I can usually see the listed partitions, have the windows setup delete any/all of them so the drive is one partition, and lay down an image.
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

The selected destination isn't large enough (reporting it as 347.17Gib) so looking at Brian's article to shrink to fit, or Compact Data, where do I find those options? The Settings screen doesn't list them.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

fairlane32 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:40 pm

I don't see any of these options within the IFW Settings screens? Where am I looking? I see Resize with Caching listed but not Scale to Fit, Remove Gaps or Compact Data.
You should see those in a list of Restore Options after selecting the source and target and confirming the existing partitions to be deleted.
fairlane32

Post by fairlane32 »

When I turn off Simple Operations, and then hit Restore, Normal, I browse for the backup, and then the drive/partition to restore (I can find the NTFS partition but i get an error that says, (Target location would overlap existing partitions) and I'm back at square one.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

It sounds like the "sectors in use" spread is too large to fit in 347 GiB. Sectors in use is different from amount of data.

In IFW Settings, remove the tick from Simple Operations. Then you will be able to see the above Options needed to restore the image.

Make sure you have an Entire Drive backup of your current NVMe drive. In case you have restore/boot issues.