Does IFL save settings?

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
CyberSimian

Does IFL save settings?

Post by CyberSimian »

I installed IFL 3.46 on a 16 GiB USB memory stick, copied it to a partition on the hard disk, resized the partition from 16 GiB to 200 MiB, and then created a boot item for it in BIBM. It works very well, except that...

...It does not seem to save the settings that I select when performing a backup. I click the "Save settings" button, and the pop-up appears saying "Settings saved successfully", but the next time that I boot, the settings have been reset to their default values. As far as I recollect, IFD does save the settings across reboots; it would be convenient if IFL could do the same.

The version of IFL that I am using is the one that includes networking. I did not realise the significance of this (a 20-second wait during starup), so next time I will install the version without networking.

While I am here, may I suggest a further improvement? Being "older" rather than "younger", I now need to have text that is on the larger side, so during IFL startup I select option "3" for the screen resolution, even though the screen is 1920x1080. It would be helpful if IFL could remember the selection made, and present it as the default on the next boot. Thank you.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
Brian K

Re: Does IFL save settings?

Post by Brian K »

CyberSimian,

I suggest you create a custom ifl.ini.

Boot your HD IFL, create a sham backup (don't click Start), on the Options screen make your selections and click Save as Default. Create a sham restore (don't click Start), on the Options screen make your selections and click Save as Default. Create a sham copy, etc.
Click IFL Settings and select the items you require, click OK.

Click mnt. Mount a HD partition you will later access from Windows.

Use Midnight Commander (maximize the MC window) to copy ifl.ini to /mnt1
You will now see ifl.ini in /mnt1

Reboot into Windows and copy ifl.ini into "ifl_nonet_en_gui_x64" folder. Double click makedisk.exe, Traditional, put a tick in "ifl.ini from local directory", etc, make a UFD. Keep ifl.ini for later IFL updates.

Copy your UFD partition to your 200 MiB partition.

All OK?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Note that the "Traditional" MakeDisk option selected needs to be the "Custom" option (the "Default" option won't offer to pull in the INI file).

For the default resolution selection, you could edit the SYSLINUX.CFG file and change the "default" value to 3 (fifth line in file). The menu.txt file could also be updated to say "Booting default <3>..." but it won't affect the actual default set in the other file, just what's displayed on the screen. Both of those files are Linux text files that use only LF for newline (not CRLF). Notepad in current Windows 10 sees them okay. Also, if the files are set read-only you would need to clear that first.
CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian »

Brian K wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:44 pm I suggest you...
Crikey! :o I don't recollect having to do that for IFD. :?
I will need to sit down and study the instructions.
Thank you for the detailed info. :)

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian »

TeraByte Support(PP) wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:07 pm For the default resolution selection, you could edit the...
Linux is not my regular OS, but I have tried it a few times. I should be able to make the changes that you describe. Thank you! :)