[Solution] Windows being set as primary boot device when using BootIT UEFI

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Bob Coleman

Re: [Solution] Windows being set as primary boot device when using BootIT UEFI

Post by Bob Coleman »

Bob Coleman wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:48 am I did get the Microsoft.001 and Microsoft.002 files back in the efi system partion. Windows RE still disabled,
I think I must have made some mistake there. After more extensive testing 24 hours later, it seems pretty clear that Windows RE is enabled when the system is booted via a Microsoft.xxx in the System efi partition and disabled when the system is booted via a Microsoft.xxx on the "replacement partition".

Partially by a fortunate accident, I ended up with the files simultaneously on both partitions. I booted numerous times altering the boot item each time so that one time it pointed to the system efi partition, the next time to the "replacement partition" and so on back and forth. Every time that the system efi partition was involved,Windows RE was enabled. Every time the "replacement partition" was involved, Windows RE was disabled.

I guess it's possible this is partly due to my not having a Recovery partition, but I now think it's extremely likely that while BIU can be made to avoid the system efi partition and behave in a stable manner, other things still expect the boot files used to be in the expected place.

Thank you Brian for asking the right question to make me realize I had created a new problem.

I'm now deciding (again) that BIU and this computer simply are not compatible.

I'll be spending some time today going back to EMBR because there really is no current value to me of using GPT.
TeraByte Support

Re: [Solution] Windows being set as primary boot device when using BootIT UEFI

Post by TeraByte Support »

some systems are more stable if you boot the generic hard drive instead of a specific boot entry. But the real answer is for the system firmware makers to fix their implementation to not change your settings. Nothing should be changing your settings in the firmware except as part of an install or its purpose.