[Solution] Windows being set as primary boot device when using BootIT UEFI

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
nemesis

[Solution] Windows being set as primary boot device when using BootIT UEFI

Post by nemesis »

Hi Guys and Gals,

Since there are many posts related to this and the TeraByte community has been extremely helpfull and patient with a new user I decided to compile the info I have on this issue and describe my resolution.

This is not a solution proposed nor endorsed by TeraByte!

I got the solution from this forum however I cannot find the post. I will add it at a later time if I do find it!

The problem: When booting into Windows 10 from BootIT UEFI Windows 10 occasionally sets itself as primary boot device in the BIOS.

The solution: Instead of having the Windows boot records in the usual place, Efi System Partion/EFI/Windows[.xxx] move them to a separate partition which isn't bootable.

To do this what I did was:
1. install Windows on the clean system and make a TBI Backup of just the Windows partition
2. Format the disk as GPT and create the System Reserved Partition
3. Install BootIT UEFI
4. Create a new partition with, name[WBM], Type[Normal Data], FileSystem[FAT32], Flags[Required, MS: Hidden, MS: No Mount], (these settings are just what I used the only important factor is the partition type, also I would also recommend the flags)
5. Restore the Windows TBI Backup to the disk
6. Run fixboot.tbs and select the new Windows partition
7. Move the folders created Windows[.xxx] folders from the Efi System Partition to the WBM partition keeping the folder structure the same
8. Create a boot Item and browse to the WBM Partition for the boot items

Forum posts related to this issue:
- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3009&p=16256&hilit=WBM#p16256
- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3804
- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3650
Bob Coleman

Re: [Solution] Windows being set as primary boot device when using BootIT UEFI

Post by Bob Coleman »

This is to confirm the crux of the above.

A week after performing a variation on the above described procedure, I still have a stable, correctly working BIU which I've never been able to accomplish before.

The way I did it:

I had an EMBR disk containing at least one, and sometimes two, instances of Windows 10 the booting of which was handled by BIBM.

After stumbling across the fact that chgdtype.tbs would not complete if two instances of Windows 10 were present, but would if only one was present

viewtopic.php?t=3974

I did the following
  • formatted one of the Windows 10 partitions
  • used chgdtype.tbs to convert the disk to GPT
  • installed BIU
  • used BIU Partition Work to copy the Windows 10 partition to the previously formatted partition specifying the Add to Boot Menu option
That resulted in a BIU with a boot menu item for each Windows 10. I then performed the apparently crucial steps of moving the Microsoft.001 and Microsoft.002 folders from the EFI system partition to new partition and updating the boot items to point to the new location of the files. BIU has been working reliably ever since.

Many thanks for posting the above.

Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested in knowing how you moved the files from the EFI system partition to the new partition. Unable to find any other way, I used TB Explorer (tbexplo.tbs) which was an adventure, but I finally stumbled through it.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob, when you are in Win10 can you run this from an Admin Command prompt...

reagentc /info

Is the Windows RE status Enabled?

I'm curious to see if it's enabled with the boot files outside the EFI partition.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

AAARRRGGGHHH! No, it's disabled and reagentc /enable produces The Windows RE image was not found.

Now I wonder what new problem I've created for myself and whether I should consider reverting to EMBR and BIBM.

As you may recall from another recent discussion, I don't have a separate RE partition. I don't know if that's relevant or not.

Interestingly, I seem to still be able to create a TBWinRE UFD. I still have to find out if it boots.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Bob Coleman wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:59 am Interestingly, I seem to still be able to create a TBWinRE UFD. I still have to find out if it boots.
Surprisingly, to me, it does boot.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob, have you considered putting the two Microsoft.xxx back in the ESP and seeing if things work better? Referring to reagentc.

I recall your issue with UEFI was Win10 booting instead of BIU. Is that correct? I used to see that on one of my old computers and booting BIU once from the F12 boot menu helped for a while. Then I needed to use F12 again.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

of course, ensure fast startup is always disabled as well.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:25 am Bob, have you considered putting the two Microsoft.xxx back in the ESP and seeing if things work better? Referring to reagentc.
Yes, I have and I will (at least to test).
I recall your issue with UEFI was Win10 booting instead of BIU. Is that correct? I used to see that on one of my old computers and booting BIU once from the F12 boot menu helped for a while. Then I needed to use F12 again.
Yes, that's correct, not F12 on this computer, but BIU not consistently booting instead of Windows. That behavior is the whole point of moving the Microsoft.xxx files as suggested at the top of this thread and it seems to solve that problem. Maybe it has created the RE issue. Maybe not. More testing required later.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

TeraByte Support wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:35 am of course, ensure fast startup is always disabled as well.
Reasonably confident that 's the case, but I'll double check.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

As the saying goes, at least in this part of the world, the plot thickens.

After another fight with TB Explorer, I did get the Microsoft.001 and Microsoft.002 files back in the efi system partion. Windows RE still disabled, but I don't know at this point whether or not that has anything to do with the location of the Microsoft.001 and Microsoft.002 files.

I restored to the EMBR/BIBM state thinking possibly Windows RE was already messed up there, but it was enabled, so while I was there I again used chgdtype to convert to GPT. Result booted fine and Windows RE was still enabled,

That was enough for tonight, but I'll carefully try to get that system back to the state where Windows RE was discovered to be missing and determine what step causes it to become missing.