Pre-sales question

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Brian K

Re: Pre-sales question

Post by Brian K »

Bob,

You are correct. I did have issues when using UEFI on old computers. I can't recall the details but it was annoying enough for me to stop doing UEFI testing on those computers.

Are you considering trying the method Davy described? It should certainly prevent WBM from taking over from BIU.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:38 pm Bob,

You are correct. I did have issues when using UEFI on old computers. I can't recall the details but it was annoying enough for me to stop doing UEFI testing on those computers.

Are you considering trying the method Davy described? It should certainly prevent WBM from taking over from BIU.
I'm considering it, yes, but haven't made up my mind yet. I certainly have to study it some more and then decide if I want to put the time into it. The only thing that makes it possibly worth the effort is the knowledge that I won't be able to install Windows 11 on the computer in its current state, not that I have any particular desire for Windows 11, but eventually Windows 10 will become obsolete and unsupported.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Bob, is your hardware OK for Win11?

https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/releases
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Tbh, if you have a working system and it suits your needs I wouldn't touch it.

Yesterday I once again made the mistake of resetting a switch in my home only because I couldn't manage it anymore. I forgot about the stupid tendency of netgear in not making LACP for LAG standard. Took me hours to figure out why my trunks were only partially working!

Don't fix stuff if it aint broke, something that should be tattood in every engineers eye lids (including my own) :P
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:18 am Bob, is your hardware OK for Win11?

https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/releases
Maybe not. All of Boot Method, Disk Partition Type and Secure Boot are flagged. I might or might not be able to fix all these using approaches suggested here, but CPU Compatibility is shown as Not Currently Listed as Compatible which may mean I'd be wasting my time fooling around with the other stuff. I know there is a lot of speculation about what CPUs will ultimately be compatible. I should probably let well enough alone with what I've got until it's known how that shakes out.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

nemesis wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:25 am Tbh, if you have a working system and it suits your needs I wouldn't touch it.

Don't fix stuff if it aint broke, something that should be tattood in every engineers eye lids (including my own) :P
Probably good advice. It's "broke" only in the sense that it won't be supported by Windows 11 in it's current state, but it might not be even if I tried to fix it.
Yottabytes

Post by Yottabytes »

OK, well I should have waited until I pulled the trigger and bought BootIt.

So I re-imaged my boot drive since there apparently isn't any uninstall option for BootIt and I re-installed it. Got the same error: "GNU GRUB version 2.02.24.3-1+eagle" etc and below that, a Grub command prompt. Before I installed BootIt, I had planned to do like @nemesis suggested and created 8MB of unassigned space on my boot drive to install BootIt. But then BootIt advised that it should be installed in the efi directory, so I was reluctant to proceed with my plan. So I chose the default BootIt install options and now I'm back to square one.

BTW in the BootIt Edit Menu Item dialog, the deepin boot entry points to: \EFI\UOS.001\grubx64.efi file. I assume that's correct. Or should the path be something else? Also, I do not have secure boot enabled and both Windows 10 and Deepin 20.1 are UEFI boot and CSM is disabled in my bios.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Yottabytes wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:46 am So I chose the default BootIt install options and now I'm back to square one.
So Win10 boots and Linux doesn't. This should fix Linux. Boot from a Linux boot disk and run these lines from a Terminal. A new Boot Item will be created in BIU...

sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
sudo mount /dev/sdXX /mnt/boot/efi
for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys /run; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
sudo chroot /mnt
grub-install /dev/sdXX
update-grub

... Note : sdXX = efi partition | sdXY = system partition
Yottabytes

Post by Yottabytes »

Thanks. Will try.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

You might have to reactivate BIU after Linux boots.

That script will create a new \EFI\UOS.xxx