Pre-sales question

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
Brian K

Re: Pre-sales question

Post by Brian K »

nemesis wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:44 am I tried having the wbm on the s
esp partition but if you do that it'll keep setting the wbm as the uefi boot item
nemesis,

I don't get that issue in my computers. Have you tried disabling WBM in the BIOS Boot Option Priorities?
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Brian K wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:29 pm nemesis,

I don't get that issue in my computers. Have you tried disabling WBM in the BIOS Boot Option Priorities?
Yes, the BIOS on the system will just ignore it and set the WBM as primary anyway. Tbh I do not think this is an issue with any of the Terabyte software. The issue is most probably in the BIOS.

I got the solution from this forum btw so I do not seem to be the only one running into this.

Regards, Davy
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

nemesis wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:11 am
Yes, the BIOS on the system will just ignore it and set the WBM as primary anyway. Tbh I do not think this is an issue with any of the Terabyte software. The issue is most probably in the BIOS.

I got the solution from this forum btw so I do not seem to be the only one running into this.

Regards, Davy
Dos this mean that what actually happens is that the system boots directly to Windows rather than to BIU so you don't have the opportunity to select boot item in BIU? If yes, I certainly had that problem and gave up and went back to (E)MBR and BIBM.
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

The simple answer is yes. It is a common issue with Uefi Bioses.

In my case the customer requires GPT, so that isn't an option.

I'll add some more info tomorrow with how I set it up. I am confident in the solution although it is a bit convoluted.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

nemesis wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:11 am
Davy,

Do you have a link to that post? I can't recall seeing it.
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Brian K wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:48 pm Do you have a link to that post? I can't recall seeing it.
Hi Brian,

sorry I cannot seem to find the post, as a next best thing I made a Thread with some info and a step by step "guide" on how to set it up. Let me know if you need more details.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3818
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Davy, thanks for that and I'll reply here rather than in your new thread. Interesting. I did this test on a three year old system with several Windows and other OS...

Created a 50 MiB FAT32 partition as per your instructions (on the same disk as the Windows partitions)
Moved Microsoft.001 from the ESP to the WBM partition (used TeraByte Explorer)
Edited the Win10 Boot Item as you indicated
Win10 boots fine.

I preferred my previous setup (it works) so I deleted the WBM partition and restored an image of the ESP.
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Brian K wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:08 am Davy, thanks for that and I'll reply here rather than in your new thread. Interesting. I did this test on a three year old system with several Windows and other OS...
Hi Brian,
Yeah of course no problem. I created the new thread because I wanted to add the same info in two threads and it's better searchable for anyone needing it in the future.
Brian K wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:08 am I preferred my previous setup (it works) so I deleted the WBM partition and restored an image of the ESP.
Since I'm creating a commercial solution for a customer and they require GPT and UEFI I had to find a solution for this.

Thank you for validating my findings!

Regards, Davy
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Davy, it's a very clever solution.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

Brian K,

You said above "I don't get that issue in my computers".

You and I had a lot of interaction when I was fighting with what I think is the same problem and finally gave up. While you were not having the problem on any computers you were using, I'm almost certain that you eventually said that you were able to see the problem on some old, unused computer. I don't know if that will sound at all familiar or not. I wouldn't have much hope of finding the relevant posts at this point.