Questions RE: UEFI Install

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
jaydub

Questions RE: UEFI Install

Post by jaydub »

1. I'm moving my boot drive from EMBR/BIBM to GPT/BootIt UEFI, and had a couple of questions:. In Work with Partitions, HD0 is a non-existent disk (see first attachment) described as "Unit(0x2)" I could perhaps understand if I was booting to the creation/recovery optical disc I made to install BootIt, but it remains when I boot to the actual boot disk that contains BootIt and O/S's, which appears as HD1 (second attachment). Note: HD2-HD5 are just data drives. What's up with that?

2. I've done a couple of test installs of BootIt and there seems to be inconsistency in the name of the bootable drive in BIOS. In a prior install, the bootable drive was named "BootIt UEFI....." or something similar. Now that name no longer appears in BIOS and the bootable drive is named "UEFI OS (SATA3_0).....". See last attachment.

Everything works fine, but just trying to understand what is going on. BIBM is rock solid and dependable and has never let me down in over 15 years. I see that on Page 6 of the User Manual for BootIt UEFI there is talk about UEFI issues. Maybe the issues noted above relate to such errata.
Attachments
Unexplained disk
Unexplained disk
HD0.jpg (230.82 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
BootIt/OS disk
BootIt/OS disk
HD1.jpg (213.28 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
BIOS bootable drive
BIOS bootable drive
MB Boot Drive.jpg (173.63 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
Brian K

Re: Questions RE: UEFI Install

Post by Brian K »

jaydub,

What is the date of your BIOS? Old BIOS do weird things with UEFI.

Do you have the HD with two Win10 and Mint in this computer? If so you have 2 ESPs which can cause bizarre issues.

Are you planning to have OS on the NVMe drive?
jaydub

Post by jaydub »

The BIOS date is March 2018, and is the latest BIOS offered for my Z270 Extreme4 from ASrock.

This is the same disk previously occupied by the two Win10 and one Mint O/S's that we talked about before. I erased the disk (including boot sector) to start over with what you see now (one Win10 partition; I forced the reserve and recovery partitions to intsall into the O/S partition, which is why you don't see them as separate partions.). I will say that I am ping-ponging back and forth between the GPT disk in question (which is being used really for testing at this point), and my main BIBM/EMBR disk which has Win10 and Mint on it. I use the same SATA port for both, plugging and unplugging it, depending on which I want to boot to.

NVMe is only a data drive. No O/S's planned.
jaydub

Post by jaydub »

So I reinstalled BootIt UEFI from installation CD and that seems to have solved issue #2.