Data Corruption

User discussion and information resource forum for Image products.
Bob Coleman

Data Corruption

Post by Bob Coleman »

I have a full backup of a Windows 10 partition created July 4 and incrementals based on it every day since. Today I discovered that I can restore the full but trying to restore starting with any of the incrementals fails.

Depending on the image program used I may or may not get the message "The boot sector is being cleared due to partial completion".

ABORT: Data corruption was encountered.
Please exit and restart the program.

occurs either following or without the previous message.

By experimenting with starting at various incrementals ant then using Multi Pass, I've determined that the corruption is apparently in the first incremental.

I suppose at this point it's impossible to determine the nature or cause of the corruption, but I'd welcome any information to the contrary.
TeraByte Support

Re: Data Corruption

Post by TeraByte Support »

That could be it since everything after that is based on it. Did you validate byte-for-byte when creating? You may want to run memtest86+ on the system and then chkdsk /f to clean up. https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=151
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

I use validate byte-for-byte for the weekly full backups, but haven't been using it for daily incrementals based on the weekly full. I think I'll start now, but the answer is no I didn't this time. I have already run chkdsk /f on the disk containing the backups which, as far as I can tell, found nothing wrong. I'll consider the memory tests next (as well as adding validate byte-for-byte for all the backups).
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

On successive nights I ran the Microsoft memory diagnostic and memtest86+. No errors reported as far as I can tell.

I guess for now, I'll just use byte-for-byte validation on all backups and see what happens.