BootIT UEFI (Answerred by TeraByte)

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Bare Metal and BootIt UEFI
nemesis

BootIT UEFI (Answerred by TeraByte)

Post by nemesis »

Before BootIT UEFI shows it's (boot) options I want to run a script automatically on startup without user interaction.

The script will then either:
- handle some automated logic and boot a partition without user ever being able to interact
- Allow the user to select a boot option

Is this possible? If so then how I cannot find any option to run a script automatically in the documentation.
Last edited by nemesis on Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeraByte Support

Re: BootIT UEFI

Post by TeraByte Support »

you can setup a boot item to run a script and have it auto run after the timeout seconds set in settings.
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Thank you for the swift reply. I mean yeah we could but that would leave a second in which a "incorrect" option could be choosen.

I saw that it is possible to do this with boot now (tell boot now to reboot, run a script and then boot a item), so it must be possible to do this in someway.
TeraByte Support

Post by TeraByte Support »

There isn't a direct boot to BootIt UEFI and run script before menu other than through bootnow.
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Ok thank you. Can I run bootnow from the "image for Windows" WinPE image?
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Most likely no. There is currently only a 32-bit version of the program and on most systems TBWinPE/RE x86 would need to be booted in Legacy mode (non-UEFI).
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Hi Paul,

thnx for the answer. I'll give it a try anyway and post the results.

There are a number of reasons I'd expect it to work.

Would it be possible for Terabye to provide a build of bootnow in a AMD64 Architecture?
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Hi Paul,

just to circle back on this since I am a bit confused about something. Why would I need a x86 WinPE, the AMD64 Architecture is build on the x86 one and fully supports the 32bit instruction set.

So I do not get why I wouldn't be able to add bootnow and call it through the command line for example (of course I cannot call functions directly from a script run by a 64bit binary because of the 64 to 32 bit barrier).
TeraByte Support(PP)

Post by TeraByte Support(PP) »

Unlike Windows, WinPE/RE x64 doesn't support x86 which means it will only run 64-bit programs.
nemesis

Post by nemesis »

Ah yeah I see. That is dissapointing. I have found that it is in theory possible to add Wow64 to WinPE x64. However, that is something I'd like to avoid.

Is it possible to get a x64 of Bootnow or are there concerns that make this impossible.