SOLVED!Restore partition to GPT disk screwed up entire disk.
Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:19 pm
Hi,
I tried testing a restore today - using my linux rescue disk - and had a very unpleasant surprise.
- I had made a backup of a whole disk with 2 Windows partitions and a Data partition (plus EFI but lets not worry about that.)
- I then tried a "practice restore" of just the data partition to a different disk which has some free space on it.
- The destination disk is 3TB and has 2 other data partitions and a lot of free space.
- I tried restoring directly to the free space, and gave it a partition size to create.
- It completely hosed the whole destination disk!
- the partition manager in BIU seemed to think the disk was OK, but Windows saw the disk as empty, and Acronis disk director saw it as a MBR disk that had no partitions on it. (of course a 3TB disk can't really be MBR anyway)
- Then I deleted all the partitions and created new empty ones.
- I tried restoring one of the destroyed partitions of the destination disk (I had made a practice IFW backup earlier)
- this seemed to restore correctly - but again the entire disk was hosed! Same as above.
I went back to the BIU partition manager - and it still thought the disk looked OK (with the restored partition and the second empty one from the above process)
- In BIU partition manager I deleted the restored data partition - and then recovered it.
Lo and behold - now the disk is OK and Windows sees it OK. (I'm still restoring the second data partition because it was blown away earler)
So the "hosed" disk wasn't *that* bad - but obviously I can't do this after every restore (go to BIU part mgr, delete part, then recover it)
So - my question is this,
Obviously something is wrong. Do I need to check the "disk geometry" settings?
What would make the restore process (restoring just one partition) screw up the entire disk? (as far as Windows is concerned)
Come to think of it - why would BIU partition manager be perfectly happy with the disk - but Windows and the Acronis partition manager are confused?
After my first "mistake", I was literally restoring one partition to exactly the same disk as it was backed up from - so something is very wrong with my settings.
sorry for the long winded post - does anyone have any ideas about this?
Obviously - I'll do further experiments on a completely different "TEST" disk.
I tried testing a restore today - using my linux rescue disk - and had a very unpleasant surprise.
- I had made a backup of a whole disk with 2 Windows partitions and a Data partition (plus EFI but lets not worry about that.)
- I then tried a "practice restore" of just the data partition to a different disk which has some free space on it.
- The destination disk is 3TB and has 2 other data partitions and a lot of free space.
- I tried restoring directly to the free space, and gave it a partition size to create.
- It completely hosed the whole destination disk!
- the partition manager in BIU seemed to think the disk was OK, but Windows saw the disk as empty, and Acronis disk director saw it as a MBR disk that had no partitions on it. (of course a 3TB disk can't really be MBR anyway)
- Then I deleted all the partitions and created new empty ones.
- I tried restoring one of the destroyed partitions of the destination disk (I had made a practice IFW backup earlier)
- this seemed to restore correctly - but again the entire disk was hosed! Same as above.
I went back to the BIU partition manager - and it still thought the disk looked OK (with the restored partition and the second empty one from the above process)
- In BIU partition manager I deleted the restored data partition - and then recovered it.
Lo and behold - now the disk is OK and Windows sees it OK. (I'm still restoring the second data partition because it was blown away earler)
So the "hosed" disk wasn't *that* bad - but obviously I can't do this after every restore (go to BIU part mgr, delete part, then recover it)
So - my question is this,
Obviously something is wrong. Do I need to check the "disk geometry" settings?
What would make the restore process (restoring just one partition) screw up the entire disk? (as far as Windows is concerned)
Come to think of it - why would BIU partition manager be perfectly happy with the disk - but Windows and the Acronis partition manager are confused?
After my first "mistake", I was literally restoring one partition to exactly the same disk as it was backed up from - so something is very wrong with my settings.
sorry for the long winded post - does anyone have any ideas about this?
Obviously - I'll do further experiments on a completely different "TEST" disk.