Page 1 of 1

Fake boot try beep

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:23 pm
by DrTeeth
Hi,
I was updating some Linux distros and I remembered that there was a
way of making a partition active without trying to go through the
normal boot process. That method gave out a beep.
None of the key combinations gave out a beep, even the one that
worked, which was SHIFT+ ENTER. IIRC, this is not a documented
feature.
Can you bring back the beep please?
Cheers
DrT
--
Cheers,

DrT

*** The problem with marriage is ***
*** that there's no casting vote!! ***

Re: Fake boot try beep

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:37 pm
by TeraByte Support
In BIBM it will beep, but that beep needs a PC speaker, if you don't
have one and it it's not routed through a sound card (some have a place
to plug in cable from mobo speaker pins to sound card), you won't hear it.


On 10/23/2020 10:23 AM, DrTeeth wrote:
> Hi,
> I was updating some Linux distros and I remembered that there was a
> way of making a partition active without trying to go through the
> normal boot process. That method gave out a beep.
> None of the key combinations gave out a beep, even the one that
> worked, which was SHIFT+ ENTER. IIRC, this is not a documented
> feature.
> Can you bring back the beep please?
> Cheers
> DrT
>


Re: Fake boot try beep

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:29 pm
by DrTeeth
On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 13:37:59 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
"TeraByte Support (DF)" disturbed
my reverie and wrote:

>In BIBM it will beep, but that beep needs a PC speaker, if you don't
>have one and it it's not routed through a sound card (some have a place
>to plug in cable from mobo speaker pins to sound card), you won't hear it.

Thanks for that. Some investigating of the hardware is needed.

Stay safe
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**

Re: Fake boot try beep

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:53 pm
by Brian K
DrT,

I think we have the same MB. Gigabyte z390 Aurus. There was no BIOS restart beep or BIBM beep until I installed a MB speaker to the Front Panel Header.

Re: Fake boot try beep

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:17 pm
by DrTeeth
On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 14:53:40 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Brian K disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>DrT,
>
>I think we have the same MB. Gigabyte z390 Aurus. There was no BIOS restart beep or BIBM beep until I installed a MB speaker to the Front Panel Header.

Hi Brian,
We do indeed. I have a spare speaker knocking around and I'll see what
I can do.
I used to be an Asus fan, but stopped buying their products. I find
the Gigabyte tech support to be very accessible. I only contacted them
as I would like not only a power LED, but also a HDD activity light.
The supplied the information I was after to make one for myself. Best
move I ever made.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**