W10 starting from HDD instead of SSD
Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:20 pm
Disaster has struck.
A long time user of BING but a novice on BOOTIT UEFI.
Have an Asus Vivobook S14 with a 2TB HDD (shows as HD0) and a 512GB SSD which had Windows 10 Pro 1803 installed and running (shows as HD1) and Bootit UEFI 1.20 installed.
I had done a number of backups and restores successfully in preparation for reinstalling W10 to 2004 version - until today.
I backup the full SSD, about 35GB for the various UEFI partitions and Recovery etc.
I have been using the Automatic option with no problems, but somehow (operator error or glitch), the restore recovered to my HDD, wiping out all my data files (I should be able to reconstruct it from various data backups etc). I subsequently restored from the same backup to the SSD using the Normal option, where I could more easily see the target drive that would be overwritten by the restore. Initially Windows started very slowly and runs slowly and shows the SSD offline, due to signature conflict according to Google - I have fixed that, again via Google.
It seems the Laptop is booting from HD0 (HDD) and not HD1 (SSD).
My one and only boot Bootit boot item was configured to boot from HD1 but after the restore it shows as booting from HD0 now.
I changed the Bootit boot item to boot from HD1 (SSD) but it makes no difference.
I notice that in Work with Partitions, selecting HD1, and BCD Edit > Windows 10 > Edit > Device the value shows as HD 0 Partition OS.
Looking through the various entries there are many references to HD0.
I am not sure whether to reinstall BootitUEFI and it will work out and create a Bootit Boot edit item for each drive and fix the problem or maybe clean and reformat HD0 (but then may not be able to boot at all).
At the moment, I have a basic running W10 but not sure if it is usable - luckily working from due to COVID so can get by with the work Laptop.
With the prep for W10 2004 mentioned above, I have a backup of it (using BootitBM 1.68 from a stick) with most of the apps I need and it is MBR so could try changing firmware to CSM legacy support again and restore that back up to HD1 (SSD). I was going to install BootitBM but had not done so yet. If the BootitBM restore is successful to HD1 (SSD) and all is OK, I could then reformat HD0 (HDD) and reconstruct my data.
Any help or suggestions welcomed.
Thanks in advance.
Greg.
PS - I'm in Sydney so timezones may work against us for replies and responses.
A long time user of BING but a novice on BOOTIT UEFI.
Have an Asus Vivobook S14 with a 2TB HDD (shows as HD0) and a 512GB SSD which had Windows 10 Pro 1803 installed and running (shows as HD1) and Bootit UEFI 1.20 installed.
I had done a number of backups and restores successfully in preparation for reinstalling W10 to 2004 version - until today.
I backup the full SSD, about 35GB for the various UEFI partitions and Recovery etc.
I have been using the Automatic option with no problems, but somehow (operator error or glitch), the restore recovered to my HDD, wiping out all my data files (I should be able to reconstruct it from various data backups etc). I subsequently restored from the same backup to the SSD using the Normal option, where I could more easily see the target drive that would be overwritten by the restore. Initially Windows started very slowly and runs slowly and shows the SSD offline, due to signature conflict according to Google - I have fixed that, again via Google.
It seems the Laptop is booting from HD0 (HDD) and not HD1 (SSD).
My one and only boot Bootit boot item was configured to boot from HD1 but after the restore it shows as booting from HD0 now.
I changed the Bootit boot item to boot from HD1 (SSD) but it makes no difference.
I notice that in Work with Partitions, selecting HD1, and BCD Edit > Windows 10 > Edit > Device the value shows as HD 0 Partition OS.
Looking through the various entries there are many references to HD0.
I am not sure whether to reinstall BootitUEFI and it will work out and create a Bootit Boot edit item for each drive and fix the problem or maybe clean and reformat HD0 (but then may not be able to boot at all).
At the moment, I have a basic running W10 but not sure if it is usable - luckily working from due to COVID so can get by with the work Laptop.
With the prep for W10 2004 mentioned above, I have a backup of it (using BootitBM 1.68 from a stick) with most of the apps I need and it is MBR so could try changing firmware to CSM legacy support again and restore that back up to HD1 (SSD). I was going to install BootitBM but had not done so yet. If the BootitBM restore is successful to HD1 (SSD) and all is OK, I could then reformat HD0 (HDD) and reconstruct my data.
Any help or suggestions welcomed.
Thanks in advance.
Greg.
PS - I'm in Sydney so timezones may work against us for replies and responses.