Any ideas to get IFL USB to boot on Dell XPS 15 9500 laptop?
Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:43 am
Hi everyone...
This is my first post here - so I hope I enter this ok!
Fast background: I've been using Ghost/Ghost Solution Suite for about 20+ years primarily via "stand-alone" cold-boot mode from a USB Flash Drive. This has been mainly on ~ 12 year old multi-boot Windows MBR BIOS computers.
I'm now trying to get ramped up on imaging UEFI computers - and I'm also looking for a possible "replacement" or "backup" imaging software solution for Ghost (though I'm still actively using the current Ghost SS 3.3 RU4 for the time being). I've also had some good recent success so far with the Macrium Reflect (free version) software.
After a lot of research/etc, I "splurged" on the "full" TeraByte Special Bundle within the last week.
My original plan/goal was to use Image For Linux (IFL) in "cold-boot" mode to do imaging and minor partition work - all from the same USB Flash Drive.
However, after hours and hours of work/research/testing/etc, I cannot get the IFL USB drive to successfully boot on my (very) new Dell XPS 15 9500 4K laptop (which is a UEFI laptop/system).
In a nutshell, now matter how I've tried to configure the IFL USB Flash Drive (UFD) media via the IFL MakeDisk.exe utility program, I get the following:
* Initial IFL grub boot menu shows up ok on laptop screen (although in very small characters on this 4K display/screen - but usable/workable).
* Then no matter what I try to do from there - when it attempts to boot into IFL - I get a blank, black screen (which it never gets out of this blank/black screen - over 10 or 15+ minutes or longer I've waited).
I have tried the acpi-off setting via the following TeraByte support article without any successful IFL boots. (I've tried this by actively/dynamically "updating" the grub boot menu as described in the below support article link - as well as "manually" editing the grub.cfg file with the acpi-off info on the IFL USB boot flash drive. Neither method/way seemed to make any difference.)
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=617
Booting to IFL Results in a Black Screen
* The laptop seems (??) like it may have booted ok (behind the scenes, so to speak) - though I can't see anything on the laptop screen. I say this because - after 1 to 2 to 10+ minutes sitting there at a blank/black screen - if I push the laptop "power off" button - it very cleanly and dutifully shuts down the laptop after 10 to 15 seconds or so. Thus, it doesn't seem to be "hanging up" or "locked up" or "frozen" (so to speak).
* I've set the XPS 15 laptop BIOS into AHCI storage mode (instead of RAID mode, though I think the AHCI mode may have more to do with IFL being able to "see" the two internal PCIe SSD drives when and if I can ever get IFL to boot). I did also, by the way, try booting to IFL while in RAID mode as well with no success.
* I've tried creating the IFL USB boot media via the IFL MakeDisk.exe utility program with several different USB Layouts - in particular the "MBR FAT/FAT32 Partition (Int13h Extensions)" and "GPT UEFI System Partition" layouts.
* I've also tried all five of the different "Geometry Calculation Method" options.
* I've (mainly) tried using the IFL_nonet_en_GUI_x64 version 3.41 download. Though I did also try using the "IFL-Create Recovery Boot Disk" to see if it might act any differently after doing an experimental full "Image For Windows" (IFW) install.
I haven't quite "given up" on IFL yet - but I'm getting discouraged at this stage - so I thought I'd break down and ask if anyone might have any other ideas/thoughts on how to get IFL to boot from a USB drive on this laptop (?).
I may try once more to carefully dig back into the XPS 15 BIOS and see if there might be some sort of "buried" system/"security" setting in there that might be "blocking" something with the IFL boot USB drive (?).
I did disable Secure Boot on the laptop a long time ago. I also have Fast Startup disabled as well.
In summary: =)
1) Let me know if anyone may have any other ideas to allow IFL to boot via USB drive on this XPS 15 laptop (?).
2) As a secondary/backup option (??), let me know if "BootIt UEFI" might (?) be worth trying (?).
Based on one very fast preliminary test, I have been able to get a BootIt UEFI USB drive to boot easily and it looks like it has both "Partition work" and "Disk Imaging" directly available on that one USB. From what I've previously researched, it sounds like IFL is generally preferred and "faster"/etc. But let me know if some think BootIt UEFI might be a decent option to consider given the difficulties I'm having with IFL (?). Or may BootIt UEFI have limitations or "slowness"/etc that may make it a "lesser" candidate to consider using actively/frequently (?).
Thank you for anyone's thoughts/ideas/feedback on this! =)
PS I apologize for the length of this post - but thought I'd try to map out what I've tried so far. Thanks again everyone!!
This is my first post here - so I hope I enter this ok!
Fast background: I've been using Ghost/Ghost Solution Suite for about 20+ years primarily via "stand-alone" cold-boot mode from a USB Flash Drive. This has been mainly on ~ 12 year old multi-boot Windows MBR BIOS computers.
I'm now trying to get ramped up on imaging UEFI computers - and I'm also looking for a possible "replacement" or "backup" imaging software solution for Ghost (though I'm still actively using the current Ghost SS 3.3 RU4 for the time being). I've also had some good recent success so far with the Macrium Reflect (free version) software.
After a lot of research/etc, I "splurged" on the "full" TeraByte Special Bundle within the last week.
My original plan/goal was to use Image For Linux (IFL) in "cold-boot" mode to do imaging and minor partition work - all from the same USB Flash Drive.
However, after hours and hours of work/research/testing/etc, I cannot get the IFL USB drive to successfully boot on my (very) new Dell XPS 15 9500 4K laptop (which is a UEFI laptop/system).
In a nutshell, now matter how I've tried to configure the IFL USB Flash Drive (UFD) media via the IFL MakeDisk.exe utility program, I get the following:
* Initial IFL grub boot menu shows up ok on laptop screen (although in very small characters on this 4K display/screen - but usable/workable).
* Then no matter what I try to do from there - when it attempts to boot into IFL - I get a blank, black screen (which it never gets out of this blank/black screen - over 10 or 15+ minutes or longer I've waited).
I have tried the acpi-off setting via the following TeraByte support article without any successful IFL boots. (I've tried this by actively/dynamically "updating" the grub boot menu as described in the below support article link - as well as "manually" editing the grub.cfg file with the acpi-off info on the IFL USB boot flash drive. Neither method/way seemed to make any difference.)
https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=617
Booting to IFL Results in a Black Screen
* The laptop seems (??) like it may have booted ok (behind the scenes, so to speak) - though I can't see anything on the laptop screen. I say this because - after 1 to 2 to 10+ minutes sitting there at a blank/black screen - if I push the laptop "power off" button - it very cleanly and dutifully shuts down the laptop after 10 to 15 seconds or so. Thus, it doesn't seem to be "hanging up" or "locked up" or "frozen" (so to speak).
* I've set the XPS 15 laptop BIOS into AHCI storage mode (instead of RAID mode, though I think the AHCI mode may have more to do with IFL being able to "see" the two internal PCIe SSD drives when and if I can ever get IFL to boot). I did also, by the way, try booting to IFL while in RAID mode as well with no success.
* I've tried creating the IFL USB boot media via the IFL MakeDisk.exe utility program with several different USB Layouts - in particular the "MBR FAT/FAT32 Partition (Int13h Extensions)" and "GPT UEFI System Partition" layouts.
* I've also tried all five of the different "Geometry Calculation Method" options.
* I've (mainly) tried using the IFL_nonet_en_GUI_x64 version 3.41 download. Though I did also try using the "IFL-Create Recovery Boot Disk" to see if it might act any differently after doing an experimental full "Image For Windows" (IFW) install.
I haven't quite "given up" on IFL yet - but I'm getting discouraged at this stage - so I thought I'd break down and ask if anyone might have any other ideas/thoughts on how to get IFL to boot from a USB drive on this laptop (?).
I may try once more to carefully dig back into the XPS 15 BIOS and see if there might be some sort of "buried" system/"security" setting in there that might be "blocking" something with the IFL boot USB drive (?).
I did disable Secure Boot on the laptop a long time ago. I also have Fast Startup disabled as well.
In summary: =)
1) Let me know if anyone may have any other ideas to allow IFL to boot via USB drive on this XPS 15 laptop (?).
2) As a secondary/backup option (??), let me know if "BootIt UEFI" might (?) be worth trying (?).
Based on one very fast preliminary test, I have been able to get a BootIt UEFI USB drive to boot easily and it looks like it has both "Partition work" and "Disk Imaging" directly available on that one USB. From what I've previously researched, it sounds like IFL is generally preferred and "faster"/etc. But let me know if some think BootIt UEFI might be a decent option to consider given the difficulties I'm having with IFL (?). Or may BootIt UEFI have limitations or "slowness"/etc that may make it a "lesser" candidate to consider using actively/frequently (?).
Thank you for anyone's thoughts/ideas/feedback on this! =)
PS I apologize for the length of this post - but thought I'd try to map out what I've tried so far. Thanks again everyone!!