2nd Ubuntu install to boot drive
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:10 am
My NVMe boot drive had a partition with an existing Ubuntu 18.04.5 installation.
System is UEFI.
Yesterday I created another partition and installed the just-released Ubuntu 20.04.1 to it.
I used a single partition plan. Root and everything else in the same partition.
Current versions of Ubuntu do not require a swap partition.
A swap file in root can be used instead.
I have used a swap file to simplify partition plan of my boot drive.
Also, it keeps Ubuntu neatly in a single partition.
The Ubuntu installer was directed to use newly created partition for root.
Installer was directed to put EFI boot loader in the same partition.
Install went smoothly. Boot item I created that is directed to find boot loader in /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/ boots the system very nicely, thank you very much. EFI partition has new ubuntu.002 listing.
But. During the install process the Ubuntu installer detected the existing Ubuntu 18.04.5 OS.
This has resulted in a grub splash screen appearing for a few seconds.
After it times out I see the mobo splash screen (as expected) after which the 20.04.1 login screen appears.
The grub screen reads like this:
GNU GRUB version 2.04
- Ubuntu [this is the default option that times out to desired OS boot]
- Advanced options for Ubuntu
- Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (18.04) (on /dev/nvme0n1p5)
- UEFI Firmware Settings
Is that what should have happened?
While it is not much of an impost to wait for a few seconds or hit enter to proceed to normal boot, is there any way of getting rid of this splash screen?
System is UEFI.
Yesterday I created another partition and installed the just-released Ubuntu 20.04.1 to it.
I used a single partition plan. Root and everything else in the same partition.
Current versions of Ubuntu do not require a swap partition.
A swap file in root can be used instead.
I have used a swap file to simplify partition plan of my boot drive.
Also, it keeps Ubuntu neatly in a single partition.
The Ubuntu installer was directed to use newly created partition for root.
Installer was directed to put EFI boot loader in the same partition.
Install went smoothly. Boot item I created that is directed to find boot loader in /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/ boots the system very nicely, thank you very much. EFI partition has new ubuntu.002 listing.
But. During the install process the Ubuntu installer detected the existing Ubuntu 18.04.5 OS.
This has resulted in a grub splash screen appearing for a few seconds.
After it times out I see the mobo splash screen (as expected) after which the 20.04.1 login screen appears.
The grub screen reads like this:
GNU GRUB version 2.04
- Ubuntu [this is the default option that times out to desired OS boot]
- Advanced options for Ubuntu
- Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (18.04) (on /dev/nvme0n1p5)
- UEFI Firmware Settings
Is that what should have happened?
While it is not much of an impost to wait for a few seconds or hit enter to proceed to normal boot, is there any way of getting rid of this splash screen?