Page 1 of 1

Show backup dependencies

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:23 am
by pimjoosten
Forgive me and please point me to the right place if an answer has already been given before. I have searched with various search terms, but could not find an answer. My question is if there is a possibility to check the dependencies of a changes only backup, so that I can see on which previous backups a changes only backup depends.

My reason for asking is that I make both incremental backups (mostly) and differential backups (less often) and it would be helpful to see what the chain of backups is. I also make full backups at least once a month, because I am aware that it is important to make them regularly.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Show backup dependencies

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:19 pm
by TeraByte Support
You can use /L /ALL /F:Filename.tbi output and if there is a "Base
File:" item it's based off of that file. So you could script the chain
if needed.

Also for windows gui version, run as admin (console or script) and
output to a file via output redirection to a file.

imagew64 /L /ALL /F:Filename.tbi > check.txt



On 4/14/2020 3:23 AM, pimjoosten wrote:
> Forgive me and please point me to the right place if an answer has already been given before. I have searched with various search terms, but could not find an answer. My question is if there is a possibility to check the dependencies of a changes only backup, so that I can see on which previous backups a changes only backup depends.
>
> My reason for asking is that I make both incremental backups (mostly) and differential backups (less often) and it would be helpful to see what the chain of backups is. I also make full backups at least once a month, because I am aware that it is important to make them regularly.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>


Re: Show backup dependencies

Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:28 am
by pimjoosten
Thanks for the reply. It might be a good idea, if possible, to have this functionality available via the GUI, i.e. that it can show the previous backup. I think it would be a valuable feature because it would save lots of time.

Re: Show backup dependencies

Posted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:31 pm
by DrTeeth
On Fri, 1 May 2020 03:28:10 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
pimjoosten disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>Thanks for the reply. It might be a good idea, if possible, to have this functionality available via the GUI, i.e. that it can show the previous backup. I think it would be a valuable feature because it would save lots of time.

Something like this is already available, if I understand what you
want.
When I make my incremental backup at the end of the day, I can just
click through and the previous locations of the last backup at already
present. I never have to worry about where my backups are. Also, I
rarely make full backups. I can do a screencast of what happens here.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**