Page 1 of 1
Harddisk head movements
Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:28 am
by AGH1965
When using Image for UEFI for making a backup from a M.2 NVMe SSD to a brand new and therefore empty harddisk, I noticed that the harddisk constantly made very rapid head movements. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Image for UEFI constantly opens and closes the image file when appending it. If that is the case, why not keep the file open until the end? That would be faster and also much healthier for the harddisk.
Re: Harddisk head movements
Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:10 pm
by TeraByte Support
No, it doesn't open / close.
On 12/14/2019 1:28 AM, AGH1965 wrote:
> When using Image for UEFI for making a backup from a M.2 NVMe SSD to a brand new and therefore empty harddisk, I noticed that the harddisk constantly made very rapid head movements. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Image for UEFI constantly opens and closes the image file when appending it. If that is the case, why not keep the file open until the end? That would be faster and also much healthier for the harddisk.
>
>
Re: Harddisk head movements
Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:37 pm
by AGH1965
TeraByte Support wrote:
> No, it doesn't open / close.
OK, thanks. However, then I don't understand why I constantly hear these rapid head movements when the image is written, but not when it is read. The noise clearly suggests that the sequential writes are more than once per second interrupted by other writes, but what else has to be written to the disk?
Re: Harddisk head movements
Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:18 pm
by TeraByte Support
filesystem metadata for one.
On 12/14/2019 8:37 AM, AGH1965 wrote:
> TeraByte Support wrote:
>> No, it doesn't open / close.
>
> OK, thanks. However, then I don't understand why I constantly hear these rapid head movements when the image is written, but not when it is read. The noise clearly suggests that the sequential writes are more than once per second interrupted by other writes, but what else has to be written to the disk?
>
>
Re: Harddisk head movements
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:33 pm
by sherylbrock
TeraByte Support wrote:
> filesystem metadata for one.
>
> On 12/14/2019 8:37 AM, AGH1965 wrote:
> > TeraByte Support wrote:
> >> No, it doesn't open / close.
> >
> > OK, thanks. However, then I don't understand why I constantly hear these
> rapid head movements when the image is written, but not when it is read.
> The noise clearly suggests that the sequential writes are more than once
> per second interrupted by other writes, but what else has to be written to
> the disk?
> >
> >
How are data written to disk to reduce head movement?
Re: Harddisk head movements
Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:21 pm
by Muad'Dib
What brand is your new hard drive? Is that the same brand/model as your other HDDs?
HGST (formerly Hitachi, now owned by Western Digital) are notoriously noisy (noise from movement of the heads is quite noticeable), but very reliable. I've been buying them for many years, but never paid attention to the noise until I added one to a HDD dock in my bedroom. The noise is acceptable, but until you realize it's normal, it's somewhat disconcerting.