Format failed
Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:17 pm
I'm having trouble formatting a large (4TB) USB drive to boot to IFU with the latest makedisk.exe from the bootit collection. I've been able to do it in the past (IFU 3.28), but now can't get it to work on 2 different identical drives.
I get through the entire setup process, select MBR/FAT32 with Default Geometry, and after the double-confirmation get an immediate 'Format Failed' error message.
I'm running makedisk on Win10 Pro, but have also tried it on a Win7 Pro box. Both are running as standard user (where I'm prompted for my Admin password to run makedisk), but I've also tried it as Admin.
Have tried several different short USB cables as 2 different drives.
Just went back and tried it again on my oldest version and it works!
Fails on 1.6.7.2 (bootit collection 1.12)
Fails on 1.6.6 (bootit collection 1.10)
Works on 1.6.3 (circa Aug, 2018)
Here are the config notes that I used for all tests:
PC Platform (UEFI)
Image for UEFI (GUI)
Traditional (customize)
Accept License Agreement
Default Video
1024x768
Disable Checkbox Selection (leave unchecked)
Global Geometry:
- Assume Same Target System
Misc Global Options:
- Completion Alarm
Adv Options: none
IFU.INI Options: Simple=1
Fill in license info from purchase email for BootIt Collection
Target (press USB+ to show the drive, because disks >64GB are hidden by default)
- Partition - MBR FAT32
- Geometry - Default
Confirm twice, writing takes about 5 seconds. About 5MB of files are written
Hopefully I'm just doing something careless. Any ideas what I can try next?
I get through the entire setup process, select MBR/FAT32 with Default Geometry, and after the double-confirmation get an immediate 'Format Failed' error message.
I'm running makedisk on Win10 Pro, but have also tried it on a Win7 Pro box. Both are running as standard user (where I'm prompted for my Admin password to run makedisk), but I've also tried it as Admin.
Have tried several different short USB cables as 2 different drives.
Just went back and tried it again on my oldest version and it works!
Fails on 1.6.7.2 (bootit collection 1.12)
Fails on 1.6.6 (bootit collection 1.10)
Works on 1.6.3 (circa Aug, 2018)
Here are the config notes that I used for all tests:
PC Platform (UEFI)
Image for UEFI (GUI)
Traditional (customize)
Accept License Agreement
Default Video
1024x768
Disable Checkbox Selection (leave unchecked)
Global Geometry:
- Assume Same Target System
Misc Global Options:
- Completion Alarm
Adv Options: none
IFU.INI Options: Simple=1
Fill in license info from purchase email for BootIt Collection
Target (press USB+ to show the drive, because disks >64GB are hidden by default)
- Partition - MBR FAT32
- Geometry - Default
Confirm twice, writing takes about 5 seconds. About 5MB of files are written
Hopefully I'm just doing something careless. Any ideas what I can try next?