Bootit cd boots but doesn't bring up program

User discussion and information resource forum for BootIt Next Generation
JoRene41

Bootit cd boots but doesn't bring up program

Post by JoRene41 »

I finally got my uefi system to boot my cd of bootit, but the program doesn't open. I tried 2 different disks that I had installed the program on and neither worked. What could cause the problem? I saw the usual boot message at the top left but then nothing happened. Thank you.
Brian K

Re: Bootit cd boots but doesn't bring up program

Post by Brian K »

JoRene41,

Are you using BING or BootIt UEFI? You have posted in the BING section.
JoRene41

Post by JoRene41 »

Bing, as I rarely need the program anymore and was able to use it successfully a few years ago when a partitioned the hard drive into c and d. At that time I used the same method to boot the CD, but this time the CD started to boot but the program never opened.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

BIBM doesn't work on a UEFI system unless booting in legacy mode. I don't recall relevant discussions of BING, but I'd certainly expect the same to be true.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

I can get BING to boot in my UEFI system but there isn't much point as it can't see partitions on GPT disks.
JoRene41

Post by JoRene41 »

I set the UEFI to legacy and the cd booted. It has booted previously on this system with legacy boot mode set (I used it previously to add a D/Data partition), but this time after the boot, the program did not open. The screen stayed black (or gray). I was asking what could cause this. I have used it for years on my systems and this is the first time it hasn't opened the program after booting. Could a change have been made in the bios preventing it from opening? Just looking for a clue, as I would like to get some space back from the data partition.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Brian K

Post by Brian K »

Have you disabled Secure Boot?
JoRene41

Post by JoRene41 »

Yes, otherwise the cd wouldn't have booted at all. As I said, the boot started and I saw the usual message in the top left screen, but then nothing more happened.
Bob Coleman

Post by Bob Coleman »

You used Bing previously to add a partition. So the disk in question is not GPT, right?

"Could a change have been made in the bios preventing it from opening"? I guess it's possible, but to me seems unlikely unless you knowingly and intentionally updated the bios?
JoRene41

Post by JoRene41 »

I appreciate your attempts to help. I don't think it is a GPT disk. Dell has updated the bios a number of times--not sure what they consisted of. I think I'll just give up on this. Best thing might be to just wipe hard drive and start over because right now microsoft has put some of their partitions in between my C and D partitions and that makes repartitioning difficult anyway. i must have at least 5 different install partions...image, tools, ms reserved, etc.