Additional Win 10 Install on drive with existing 10 install
Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:35 pm
Hi,
I am a new user to BIU and have been asking questions about windows 10 and UEFI in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3221.
I decided to go ahead and install BIU as it was mentioned that it gets installed in the EFI system partition. That went well although initially it booted back to my Windows partition but after booting once with F9 to choose the boot item and choosing BIU it then booted to BIU every time. Great!
Next in another post it was mentioned that all you have to do to do another Windows install is create a partition and then reboot to the install media and install to that partition. Ok sounds easy enough - created a partition and booted my Windows 10 install media and chose that partition for install. Now I have a situation that I'm not quite sure how to fix. These are the things that happened:
a) Windows 10 installed on that partition but automatically encrypted it with bitlocker... not sure why this happened as a DEFAULT but it did..
b) BIU got overwritten and I had to boot from the installer to reactivate BIU. Once reactivated I had to f9 boot it again to select Boot IT as the boot item
c) BIU did NOT create a new boot entry for the OS. I still have the single entry and if I choose to boot that entry I get the windows boot menu
d) Both installs of 10 are shown on the Windows boot manager menu. If I choose one I get my original install (but only after a reboot). If I choose the other it boots into the fresh install.
e) In the EFI system partition there is no "Microsoft.002" folder... just the "Microsoft.001" original folder.
f) It doesn't appear that it created another WinRE (Recovery) partition for this new install
How do I get to one boot entry for my original 10 install and another for my new 10 install and get rid of the windows 10 boot manager?
And... why did this happen this way? According to what I have been reading in the forum it should be as simple as creating the partition and installing?
Thanks,
Rich
I am a new user to BIU and have been asking questions about windows 10 and UEFI in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3221.
I decided to go ahead and install BIU as it was mentioned that it gets installed in the EFI system partition. That went well although initially it booted back to my Windows partition but after booting once with F9 to choose the boot item and choosing BIU it then booted to BIU every time. Great!
Next in another post it was mentioned that all you have to do to do another Windows install is create a partition and then reboot to the install media and install to that partition. Ok sounds easy enough - created a partition and booted my Windows 10 install media and chose that partition for install. Now I have a situation that I'm not quite sure how to fix. These are the things that happened:
a) Windows 10 installed on that partition but automatically encrypted it with bitlocker... not sure why this happened as a DEFAULT but it did..
b) BIU got overwritten and I had to boot from the installer to reactivate BIU. Once reactivated I had to f9 boot it again to select Boot IT as the boot item
c) BIU did NOT create a new boot entry for the OS. I still have the single entry and if I choose to boot that entry I get the windows boot menu
d) Both installs of 10 are shown on the Windows boot manager menu. If I choose one I get my original install (but only after a reboot). If I choose the other it boots into the fresh install.
e) In the EFI system partition there is no "Microsoft.002" folder... just the "Microsoft.001" original folder.
f) It doesn't appear that it created another WinRE (Recovery) partition for this new install
How do I get to one boot entry for my original 10 install and another for my new 10 install and get rid of the windows 10 boot manager?
And... why did this happen this way? According to what I have been reading in the forum it should be as simple as creating the partition and installing?
Thanks,
Rich