Page 1 of 1

W10: Why does W10 think IFW is changing my machine?

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:04 pm
by jeffw_00
Hi - I just upgraded to windows 10. Every time I run IFW, I get one of those annoying "... is trying to change your machine" popups. Since I run IFW unattended (called from a script triggered by task scheduler), I had to turn off these pop-ups entirely. It doesn't worry me too much (I had them off in W7) but if not for IFW I could leave them on - is there a workaround?

Thanks!
/j

Re: W10: Why does W10 think IFW is changing my machine?

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:45 pm
by Bob Coleman
By popups, I assume you mean those associated with UAC and that you have apparently turned off UAC. Your thread title says "Why does W10 ...", but I think the same would have happened in W7 if UAC had not been turned off.

Does the account where this is happening have administrator privileges?

Re: W10: Why does W10 think IFW is changing my machine?

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:03 pm
by jeffw_00
Thanks for your response!

yes - it's the only account and it's an administrator account.

Yes, I mean those associated with UAC and that I have turned off UAC. I turned it off so long ago for W7 I can't say what IFW might do if I hadn't. But having upgraded to W10 (where supposedly everything should work better), I was just wondering if there was a way to avoid these for IFW. Thanks!

Re: W10: Why does W10 think IFW is changing my machine?

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:38 am
by Brian K
Jeff, in Scheduled Tasks put a tick in "Run with highest privileges". You will no longer get a UAC prompt.

Re: W10: Why does W10 think IFW is changing my machine?

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:14 am
by jeffw_00
I'll try it - thanks!

Re: W10: Why does W10 think IFW is changing my machine?

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:49 am
by TeraByte Support
Also good idea to reinstall IFW to ensure proper drivers are installed
for Win10 (which are different than the W7 ones).

On 8/11/2019 6:04 AM, jeffw_00 wrote:
> Hi - I just upgraded to windows 10. Every time I run IFW, I get one of those annoying "... is trying to change your machine" popups. Since I run IFW unattended (called from a script triggered by task scheduler), I had to turn off these pop-ups entirely. It doesn't worry me too much (I had them off in W7) but if not for IFW I could leave them on - is there a workaround?
>
> Thanks!
> /j
>
>


Re: W10: Why does W10 think IFW is changing my machine?

Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:15 pm
by jeffw_00
yes - did reinstall