Restore to Larger Drive (SSD) Questions
Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:34 pm
So today I finally replaced a 256 GB SSD (boot drive) with a 1 TB SSD. From within IFW, I backed up the entire drive, and then restored the TBI file to the new SSD (I used the "Scale to Target" option during the restore to increase my drive C partition size on the new drive). I then removed the old SSD, replaced it with the new one, rebooted, and so far everything is working fine. The only thing I was wondering about is that some additional very small unallocated partitions were created which border the copies of my original partitions. See attached image below for old and new drive partitions (after restore and before replacing/rebooting). The total space of these partitions (marked with red boxes) is about 5GB, so at the moment, it's not really a problem, it's just that I wasn't expecting to see these extra partitions.
I have a few questions about this:
1) Why did it happen?
2) Will it cause any problems (or, is there actually a benefit)?
3) If I want to get rid of the extra partitions, what's the most straightforward way of doing so now? Note that drive C: is encrypted with BitLocker, in case this matters. Also, this machine does not have any version of BootIt installed, and I probably won't be installing it in the near future (if ever), so if possible, please give me options/suggestions without assuming the use of BootIt.
4) How should I have done the backup (and/or restore) differently to avoid these additional partitions (your answer to #1 may also answer this question)?
I have a few questions about this:
1) Why did it happen?
2) Will it cause any problems (or, is there actually a benefit)?
3) If I want to get rid of the extra partitions, what's the most straightforward way of doing so now? Note that drive C: is encrypted with BitLocker, in case this matters. Also, this machine does not have any version of BootIt installed, and I probably won't be installing it in the near future (if ever), so if possible, please give me options/suggestions without assuming the use of BootIt.
4) How should I have done the backup (and/or restore) differently to avoid these additional partitions (your answer to #1 may also answer this question)?