BIU bare metal install to Z390 mobo
Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:55 pm
I am preparing to bare metal install Win 10 and Ubuntu to a new PC. From these OSes I also intend to run VMs.
Mobo has Intel Z390 chipset. Boot drive will be a Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD, 500GB.
The machine will use UEFI booting from the M.2 NVMe drive and GPT partitioning for the boot drive and the main storage HDD.
HDDs with MBR/EMBR partitioning will be carried over from an old Pentium 4 box that will be retired.
I have some experience as a home user multi-booting with BootIt NG. BootIt BM seems to work in pretty much the same manner, and changing to it recently proceeded without difficulty. That is not to say I have mastered BIBM, but I can use it.
With UEFI booting and GPT partitions I’ve had to come to grips with new concepts. I’ve tried to get a handle on the use of BootIt UEFI by reading its manual. I still have some queries and I’m hoping I can get advice and guidance here that will help me get the system up and running without any major drama. Assistance given will be much appreciated.
1. Installing BIU
Booting the bare metal system to BIU from a USB flash drive, will I be able to create partitions and then install BIU to an EFI partition without having drivers for the SSD present on the bare system?
2. EFI system partition
The BIU manual recommends the EFI system partition has a minimum size of 400MB, larger if many OSes will be installed. Would 1GB provide enough capacity to install BIU and to fit more EFI boot files for future multi-booting expansion?
For multi-booting from one SSD as I plan this machine to mostly do, can all the OSes running from the drive (I will install them to separate GPT partitions) have their respective EFI boot files residing in a single EFI system partition? Or will separate UFI system partitions be needed for the EFI boot files of each OS installed to the SSD?
If it is possible to boot each OS from its own EFI system partition, is it beneficial to do so?
3. Preparing the SSD for Win 10
Example screenshots in the BIU manual show Win 10 installed to four GPT partitions:
000 + Recovery
001 + EFI system partition
002 + Microsoft reserved partition
003 Windows 10
In example Win 10 partition table screenshots seen elsewhere I have seen more partitions used by Windows than this.
How many partitions will I need to make to prepare for installing Win 10?
Is the partition arrangement above typical on computers purchased with Win 10 preinstalled? BIU manual calls for one NTFS partition for Win 10.
4. Preparing the SSD for Ubuntu
From the BIU manual, a minimum of a Linux Swap partition and a Linux Native partition will need to be made. I am open to suggestion for more elaborate partitioning strategies for the current Ubuntu release. Links to good articles on this topic would be useful.
5. Booting OS from MBR/EMBR drives
An MBR/EMBR HDD from my old system has Win XP installed to a partition.
I have read that Win XP cannot detect GPT drives.
Will BIU be able to boot Win XP from an MBR drive on the new system, or will I be limited to using MBR/EMBR drives for data only?
Will the mobo BIOS need to run in UEFI+legacy mode for MBR/EMBR drives to be used? Or will BIU permit their use if BIOS is running UEFI mode only?
My feeling is to try not to use legacy mode and go with the new. Another option is to copy the XP OS partition to a VM.
Mobo has Intel Z390 chipset. Boot drive will be a Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD, 500GB.
The machine will use UEFI booting from the M.2 NVMe drive and GPT partitioning for the boot drive and the main storage HDD.
HDDs with MBR/EMBR partitioning will be carried over from an old Pentium 4 box that will be retired.
I have some experience as a home user multi-booting with BootIt NG. BootIt BM seems to work in pretty much the same manner, and changing to it recently proceeded without difficulty. That is not to say I have mastered BIBM, but I can use it.
With UEFI booting and GPT partitions I’ve had to come to grips with new concepts. I’ve tried to get a handle on the use of BootIt UEFI by reading its manual. I still have some queries and I’m hoping I can get advice and guidance here that will help me get the system up and running without any major drama. Assistance given will be much appreciated.
1. Installing BIU
Booting the bare metal system to BIU from a USB flash drive, will I be able to create partitions and then install BIU to an EFI partition without having drivers for the SSD present on the bare system?
2. EFI system partition
The BIU manual recommends the EFI system partition has a minimum size of 400MB, larger if many OSes will be installed. Would 1GB provide enough capacity to install BIU and to fit more EFI boot files for future multi-booting expansion?
For multi-booting from one SSD as I plan this machine to mostly do, can all the OSes running from the drive (I will install them to separate GPT partitions) have their respective EFI boot files residing in a single EFI system partition? Or will separate UFI system partitions be needed for the EFI boot files of each OS installed to the SSD?
If it is possible to boot each OS from its own EFI system partition, is it beneficial to do so?
3. Preparing the SSD for Win 10
Example screenshots in the BIU manual show Win 10 installed to four GPT partitions:
000 + Recovery
001 + EFI system partition
002 + Microsoft reserved partition
003 Windows 10
In example Win 10 partition table screenshots seen elsewhere I have seen more partitions used by Windows than this.
How many partitions will I need to make to prepare for installing Win 10?
Is the partition arrangement above typical on computers purchased with Win 10 preinstalled? BIU manual calls for one NTFS partition for Win 10.
4. Preparing the SSD for Ubuntu
From the BIU manual, a minimum of a Linux Swap partition and a Linux Native partition will need to be made. I am open to suggestion for more elaborate partitioning strategies for the current Ubuntu release. Links to good articles on this topic would be useful.
5. Booting OS from MBR/EMBR drives
An MBR/EMBR HDD from my old system has Win XP installed to a partition.
I have read that Win XP cannot detect GPT drives.
Will BIU be able to boot Win XP from an MBR drive on the new system, or will I be limited to using MBR/EMBR drives for data only?
Will the mobo BIOS need to run in UEFI+legacy mode for MBR/EMBR drives to be used? Or will BIU permit their use if BIOS is running UEFI mode only?
My feeling is to try not to use legacy mode and go with the new. Another option is to copy the XP OS partition to a VM.