My First IFW Restore is Failing
Posted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:22 pm
I am new to IFW. I have taken several backups without any issue on my laptop. Recently, I had an opportunity to restore one of those backups to the same laptop. That restore failed. I booted my laptop using my TBWinRE USB thumb drive. The backup file was stored on an external HDD. My laptop has an SSD. When I attempt to restore the backup, I receive the following error message:
"A hard drive error occurred when writing 48 sectors to LBA 2742272. Do not abort if you want to ignore these errors. Do you want to abort the operation?" I answered "Yes" to that question.
When this occurred, I sent an email to tech support. Below is the response I received:
"Delete all the partitions first, reboot in to TBWinRE (reboot if did it from there just to be sure windows not keeping one in use - if you use ifw to delete them then should be good too), then tick the box to restore all the partitions and the restore first track option, it will be treated as a full drive restore to a point. If it doesn't boot, you just have to ensure the correct partition is active. If you get a write error during that, it may be you have some sectors going bad (the one you got is probably because windows was in use and since deleted IFW didn't see anything to lock)."
I don't want to "brick" my laptop. I am still willing to risk my laptop. I can always reinstall Windows if I have to (although I have never done that either). I work on web server application config and support at work - but I am not a hardware guy. When I attempted my restore, I only attempted to restore the main C:\ drive partition. I didn't try to restore all partitions. Since tech support is telling me to delete all partitions first, that means I will need to restore all partitions. I don't know what it means to make sure the correct partition is active or how to change it if required.
I guess my question at this point is how do you delete all of the partitions using IFW? I have never deleted partitions before either.
FYI, I am including the screen where I select the target where the backup should be restored. Maybe I am doing something wrong that someone can correct me on.
Thank you.
"A hard drive error occurred when writing 48 sectors to LBA 2742272. Do not abort if you want to ignore these errors. Do you want to abort the operation?" I answered "Yes" to that question.
When this occurred, I sent an email to tech support. Below is the response I received:
"Delete all the partitions first, reboot in to TBWinRE (reboot if did it from there just to be sure windows not keeping one in use - if you use ifw to delete them then should be good too), then tick the box to restore all the partitions and the restore first track option, it will be treated as a full drive restore to a point. If it doesn't boot, you just have to ensure the correct partition is active. If you get a write error during that, it may be you have some sectors going bad (the one you got is probably because windows was in use and since deleted IFW didn't see anything to lock)."
I don't want to "brick" my laptop. I am still willing to risk my laptop. I can always reinstall Windows if I have to (although I have never done that either). I work on web server application config and support at work - but I am not a hardware guy. When I attempted my restore, I only attempted to restore the main C:\ drive partition. I didn't try to restore all partitions. Since tech support is telling me to delete all partitions first, that means I will need to restore all partitions. I don't know what it means to make sure the correct partition is active or how to change it if required.
I guess my question at this point is how do you delete all of the partitions using IFW? I have never deleted partitions before either.
FYI, I am including the screen where I select the target where the backup should be restored. Maybe I am doing something wrong that someone can correct me on.
Thank you.