Phantom disk
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:19 am
Just before Christmas the power supply in my PC died, and I am now trying to recover from that. A new power supply has been installed, but I am experiencing a problem with one of the disks. I think that it may have been damaged when the power supplied failed, as it is acting erratically, and seems to have caused BIBM a problem. The problem disk is a 750GB Seagate disk. The PC also contains two 2TB Western Digital Green disks, plus a CD/DVD drive (all are SATA).
When I enter BIBM's "Partition Work" panel, I see a phantom disk in the list of disks. The phantom has a size of 896 GiB. If I display the partitions on that disk ("Work with Partitions"), BIBM displays no partitions, the MBR is completely blank, and the string "* Errors Exist *" is displayed above the partition-list box.
If I enter the "Boot Edit" panel and edit a boot item, there is a space for this phantom disk in the list of partitions on the right, but it is completely blank. When I move the focus to the line for partition 0 in that disk, all of the buttons are greyed out. If I move the focus to the line above partition 0 ("labelled "HD 1"), two buttons become ungreyed -- "Retain" and "Ignore".
The above occurs both when the problem disk is enabled in the BIOS, and when it is disabled in the BIOS (I have tried both).
When the problem disk is enabled, BIBM sees the problem disk and correctly displays the 5 primary partitions on it (it is an EMBR disk). However, all of the MBR fields display as zeros (perhaps this is expected for an EMBR disk?), and Windows thinks that the disk is uninitialised.
How do I get rid of the phantom disk? (I have not yet made any changes in BIBM, as I want to try to recover the contents of the problem disk, if possible.)
Thank you.
-- from CyberSimian in the UK
When I enter BIBM's "Partition Work" panel, I see a phantom disk in the list of disks. The phantom has a size of 896 GiB. If I display the partitions on that disk ("Work with Partitions"), BIBM displays no partitions, the MBR is completely blank, and the string "* Errors Exist *" is displayed above the partition-list box.
If I enter the "Boot Edit" panel and edit a boot item, there is a space for this phantom disk in the list of partitions on the right, but it is completely blank. When I move the focus to the line for partition 0 in that disk, all of the buttons are greyed out. If I move the focus to the line above partition 0 ("labelled "HD 1"), two buttons become ungreyed -- "Retain" and "Ignore".
The above occurs both when the problem disk is enabled in the BIOS, and when it is disabled in the BIOS (I have tried both).
When the problem disk is enabled, BIBM sees the problem disk and correctly displays the 5 primary partitions on it (it is an EMBR disk). However, all of the MBR fields display as zeros (perhaps this is expected for an EMBR disk?), and Windows thinks that the disk is uninitialised.
How do I get rid of the phantom disk? (I have not yet made any changes in BIBM, as I want to try to recover the contents of the problem disk, if possible.)
Thank you.
-- from CyberSimian in the UK