Backup/Restore to UEFI system
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:15 pm
Hi
I am receiving a replacement DELL XPS 15 today. I have several images backed up from the existing system. My plan was to boot to an IFW recovery drive on a USB stick, backup the existing drive and then restore an image from the existing unit.
I did a quick test run on the existing system. Booted to the IFW recovery drive (created on a non-UEFI W10 system). It came up OK, but when I went to step through the motions of backing up, it only showed 1 partition (FAT32), whereas there are 6 partitions on that drive.
So I created another USB stick with Image for UEFI (character-based), booted to that and stepped through the motions of backing up. It found the big USB external drive but did not offer the selection of a target directory/filename etc. I am confused.
What is the best approach for backing up such a virginal, new system?
Ignoring the safety-first backup and just going straight to the restore, could I restore the whole disk image (all 6 partitions) using the IFW stick created on a non-UEFI system?
Hope this makes sense.
Tom B
I am receiving a replacement DELL XPS 15 today. I have several images backed up from the existing system. My plan was to boot to an IFW recovery drive on a USB stick, backup the existing drive and then restore an image from the existing unit.
I did a quick test run on the existing system. Booted to the IFW recovery drive (created on a non-UEFI W10 system). It came up OK, but when I went to step through the motions of backing up, it only showed 1 partition (FAT32), whereas there are 6 partitions on that drive.
So I created another USB stick with Image for UEFI (character-based), booted to that and stepped through the motions of backing up. It found the big USB external drive but did not offer the selection of a target directory/filename etc. I am confused.
What is the best approach for backing up such a virginal, new system?
Ignoring the safety-first backup and just going straight to the restore, could I restore the whole disk image (all 6 partitions) using the IFW stick created on a non-UEFI system?
Hope this makes sense.
Tom B