Imaging a drive for Linux embedded system - boot fails
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:17 pm
I have a device (Korg Kronos) that is based on embedded Linux. I'm trying to image the system onto a larger SSD.
My imaged drive fails to boot. The system does not give any helpful diagnostics or have console access, unfortunately.
The partition layout is like this:
/boot 16 Mib Linux Native
/ 220 Mib Linux Native
MBR2 502 Mib Linux Swap/ Solaris
MBR3 Extended
/korg/ro 526 Mib Linux Native
/korg/rw 27361 Mib Linux Native
I'm looking at the disk in gparted under Ubuntu. I see the partition MBR3 has a flag "lba".
The boot flag is present on the /boot partition.
The original drive was imaged to a single file, then restored to the new drive. The only restore option selected was "Write Standard MBR Code".
Normally I would expand MBR3 and /korg/rw to make the additional space of the new drive available. As a test, I connected the drive right after imaging.
Even before re-sizing the user partition (/korg/rw), the new drive will not boot. BIBM shows the partitions are identical on old and new drive, and /boot is marked Active.
Other owners of this device have been successful with this approach to upgrading the disk, but say they used "stand alone" dedicated disk imaging machines.
What am I missing? Is there something else needed to completely and fully image a disk for Linux?
My imaged drive fails to boot. The system does not give any helpful diagnostics or have console access, unfortunately.
The partition layout is like this:
/boot 16 Mib Linux Native
/ 220 Mib Linux Native
MBR2 502 Mib Linux Swap/ Solaris
MBR3 Extended
/korg/ro 526 Mib Linux Native
/korg/rw 27361 Mib Linux Native
I'm looking at the disk in gparted under Ubuntu. I see the partition MBR3 has a flag "lba".
The boot flag is present on the /boot partition.
The original drive was imaged to a single file, then restored to the new drive. The only restore option selected was "Write Standard MBR Code".
Normally I would expand MBR3 and /korg/rw to make the additional space of the new drive available. As a test, I connected the drive right after imaging.
Even before re-sizing the user partition (/korg/rw), the new drive will not boot. BIBM shows the partitions are identical on old and new drive, and /boot is marked Active.
Other owners of this device have been successful with this approach to upgrading the disk, but say they used "stand alone" dedicated disk imaging machines.
What am I missing? Is there something else needed to completely and fully image a disk for Linux?