Page 1 of 2

PHYLock lock time

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:50 am
by DrTeeth
Some time ago, some of us noticed that PHYLock got a lock within
seconds. I have noticed a slide in this behaviour. My IfW waiting
until bang on the 10 minutes time out before it gets a lock on the
drive. Surely that is too much of a coincidence that disk writing
stops at EXACTLY the same time, each time.

Has anybody noticed anything similar or can offer any suggestions?
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
** out of someone who richly deserves it.

Re: PHYLock lock time

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:54 pm
by Bob Coleman
Probably of no help, but:

I have the timeout set to 60 minutes though the lock is normally obtained within a minute. Recently, I noticed that the lock was never being obtained within the 60 minutes. I never did figure out why, but I discovered that if during the 60 minutes I unplugged the ethernet cable creating no network access, the lock would be obtained within a short time. I could then plug the cable back in and everything would proceed normally. I continued this procedure for several days after which the lock started being obtained rapidly again with out disconnecting from the network.

I have no idea what was happening during the period when the lock seemingly would not be obtained if there was internet access.

Re: PHYLock lock time

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:06 am
by DrTeeth
On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 15:54:39 EDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Bob Coleman disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>I have no idea what was happening during the period when the lock seemingly would not be obtained if there was internet access.

I'll give that a try later. Strange the sudden change in behaviour and
starting to image bang on 10 mins. When running a backup I make sure
that there is no disk activity, no windows defrags going on, so I too
am puzzled about what could be using the disk. The disk LED hardly
ever comes on during that 10 mins either.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter". - Winston Churchill

Re: PHYLock lock time

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:32 am
by Brian K
DrT,

PHYLock waits for a 4.25 second pause in disk activity before locking. If by 10 minutes there hasn't been this delay then PHYLock locks anyway. I wouldn't like that.

Have a look in Procmon.exe (Sysinternals) to see what is interrupting imagew.exe in that 4.25 second period.

Re: PHYLock lock time

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:00 am
by DrTeeth
On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 21:32:08 EDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Brian K disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>DrT,
>
>PHYLock waits for a 4.25 second pause in disk activity before locking. If by 10 minutes there hasn't been this delay then PHYLock locks anyway. I wouldn't like that.
>
>Have a look in Procmon.exe (Sysinternals) to see what is interrupting imagew.exe in that 4.25 second period.

Hi Brian,

We're onto something. It's 03:00hrs here local time so head not clear
enough for that sort of trouble-shooting. managed to get a quick lock
after closing various things down. Tomorrow, once I have picked up an
old and working American valve tester I have bought, I'll get on the
case. Thanks for the heads up about that useful utility. Daft
question...how do disk reads appear in the listing?
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter". - Winston Churchill

Re: PHYLock lock time

Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:56 am
by Brian K
DrT,

In Promon press Ctrl+A to get Auto Scroll. In the Process Name column you will see imagew.exe appear occasionally but not last 4.25 seconds. What is the process that interrupts imagew.exe. You can press CTRL+A to freeze the scrolling.

Re: PHYLock lock time

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:08 am
by DrTeeth
On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 22:56:19 EDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Brian K disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>In Promon press Ctrl+A to get Auto Scroll. In the Process Name column you will see imagew.exe appear occasionally but not last 4.25 seconds. What is the process that interrupts imagew.exe. You can press CTRL+A to freeze the scrolling.

Hi Brian,

I think I may have nailed it. Procmon did not show anything
consistently stopping IfW from starting. As the issue was relatively
recent, I worked my way backwards from the newest program/update. Then
when I thought I had found it, I went blank and could remember the
last thing I disabled! 2½ months until I get my free bus pass and tube
(London Underground) pass.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter". - Winston Churchill

Re: PHYLock lock time

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:44 am
by TeraByte Support
fwiw, it's only the disk writes that matter. diskmon will show at a lower
level if can't find it at higher one.

"DrTeeth" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

On Thu, 2 Aug 2018 21:32:08 EDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
Brian K disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>DrT,
>
>PHYLock waits for a 4.25 second pause in disk activity before locking. If
>by 10 minutes there hasn't been this delay then PHYLock locks anyway. I
>wouldn't like that.
>
>Have a look in Procmon.exe (Sysinternals) to see what is interrupting
>imagew.exe in that 4.25 second period.

Hi Brian,

We're onto something. It's 03:00hrs here local time so head not clear
enough for that sort of trouble-shooting. managed to get a quick lock
after closing various things down. Tomorrow, once I have picked up an
old and working American valve tester I have bought, I'll get on the
case. Thanks for the heads up about that useful utility. Daft
question...how do disk reads appear in the listing?
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter". - Winston Churchill


Re: PHYLock lock time

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:50 am
by DrTeeth
On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 23:44:51 EDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
"TeraByte Support" disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

>fwiw, it's only the disk writes that matter. diskmon will show at a lower
>level if can't find it at higher one.

I could not tell what was a disk write and what was not. The culprit
was a running service for my keyboard. As this was not needed, I
uninstalled the software.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter". - Winston Churchill

Re: PHYLock lock time

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:11 am
by tas3086
Try Procmon filter: PATH BEGINS WITH C:\

or whatever drive letter that Phyloc is stuck on.
remove all other filters.
this will show you what processes are touching the disk.
Have fun,