Accuracy of sizes in partition work
Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:02 pm
I am concerned about how accurate the size information is in Partition work. If I keep a record of the size and position of each partition in a drive using MB's from the BIBM screen can I reconstruct those partitions exactly via BIBM if the drive is trashed for example by a bad install of some system?
By way of further explanation I keep information similar to the list below which would represent the whole drive space:
BIBM 8 BootitEMBRM
Win7 25000 NTFS
----- 26482 Free space
Mint11 9994 ext4
Swap 2000 Linux Swap
W7Virtual 5994 NTFS
I am conscious that these figures may be approximations rather than true megabytes (or mebibytes whatever). Some of these partitions may have been positioned by butting up against other partitions which have since been deleted, so just recreating them from these numbers might perhaps not get them in exactly the same place as before. This is important in Linux systems which use UUIDs to define the partitions.
By way of further explanation I keep information similar to the list below which would represent the whole drive space:
BIBM 8 BootitEMBRM
Win7 25000 NTFS
----- 26482 Free space
Mint11 9994 ext4
Swap 2000 Linux Swap
W7Virtual 5994 NTFS
I am conscious that these figures may be approximations rather than true megabytes (or mebibytes whatever). Some of these partitions may have been positioned by butting up against other partitions which have since been deleted, so just recreating them from these numbers might perhaps not get them in exactly the same place as before. This is important in Linux systems which use UUIDs to define the partitions.