2 Win7 partitions no longer bootable after Upgrade of one
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:25 pm
My system is as follows:
HD-0:
6 MiB Free Space in front
Windows 7 (my main working partition)
Linux Mint
EMBRM at the end
HD-1:
8 MiB Free Space in front
Extended
Windows 7 (newly installed for upgrading to Win10
I use BIBM for partioning. My BIOS is conventional, no UEFI.
When trying to upgrade my HD-1 Win7, the PC booted (as expected) no longer into the BIBM boot menu but directly into the Win7 to be upgraded.
The upgrade process has stalled (for hours) at 99 % installation progress.
At this time I wanted to know what the partitions would look like. So I first made a Backup from my EMBRM using TBWinRE, then rebooted from my BIBM-CD and accessed BIBM. A warning popped up telling me that there were overlapping partitions. I opened Work with Partitions and saw that there was now a 100 MiB partition in front of my Win 7 working partition.
Both partition names had the same letter „E“ (if I remember correctly) attached to them obviously illustrating the overlap.
I was not aware of the EFI thing because I thougt myself safe in a pure BIOS environment. So I unsuspectingly deleted the 100 MiB partition without checking any option. I thought I could easily undelete it if the need arose.
Now, as a consequence, I cannot boot either of the two Win7 partitions:
If I try to resize my HD-0 Win7 partition I get the information „Abort: The file system is unsupported or unformatted.“ When selecting its properties I get „Bootable: No - The location of this Partition will prevent some Operating Systems from booting from it.“ Trying to boot it anyway brings up the following message: „The partition is not bootable! If you are in the process of installing an OS then insert an installation media and press ctrl-alt-del to initiate a reboot otherwise click OK to return to BooIt BM."
Resizing of the HD-1 Win7 could be possible (I did not pursue it beyond selecting the function). Properties info reads „Bootable: NTFS“. Trying to boot it anyway brings up the following message: „This partition does not contain an operating system. If you are about to install a new OS then insert the installation diskette into drive A: - Press any key to run the BIOS bootstrap loader...“
What can I do now to recover both partitions and render them bootable by BIBM? I have no backups apart from the EMBRM (created with TBWinRE). As concerns further Terabyte tools to handle the situation: I own IFW, IFL and TBOSDTS.
HD-0:
6 MiB Free Space in front
Windows 7 (my main working partition)
Linux Mint
EMBRM at the end
HD-1:
8 MiB Free Space in front
Extended
Windows 7 (newly installed for upgrading to Win10
I use BIBM for partioning. My BIOS is conventional, no UEFI.
When trying to upgrade my HD-1 Win7, the PC booted (as expected) no longer into the BIBM boot menu but directly into the Win7 to be upgraded.
The upgrade process has stalled (for hours) at 99 % installation progress.
At this time I wanted to know what the partitions would look like. So I first made a Backup from my EMBRM using TBWinRE, then rebooted from my BIBM-CD and accessed BIBM. A warning popped up telling me that there were overlapping partitions. I opened Work with Partitions and saw that there was now a 100 MiB partition in front of my Win 7 working partition.
Both partition names had the same letter „E“ (if I remember correctly) attached to them obviously illustrating the overlap.
I was not aware of the EFI thing because I thougt myself safe in a pure BIOS environment. So I unsuspectingly deleted the 100 MiB partition without checking any option. I thought I could easily undelete it if the need arose.
Now, as a consequence, I cannot boot either of the two Win7 partitions:
If I try to resize my HD-0 Win7 partition I get the information „Abort: The file system is unsupported or unformatted.“ When selecting its properties I get „Bootable: No - The location of this Partition will prevent some Operating Systems from booting from it.“ Trying to boot it anyway brings up the following message: „The partition is not bootable! If you are in the process of installing an OS then insert an installation media and press ctrl-alt-del to initiate a reboot otherwise click OK to return to BooIt BM."
Resizing of the HD-1 Win7 could be possible (I did not pursue it beyond selecting the function). Properties info reads „Bootable: NTFS“. Trying to boot it anyway brings up the following message: „This partition does not contain an operating system. If you are about to install a new OS then insert the installation diskette into drive A: - Press any key to run the BIOS bootstrap loader...“
What can I do now to recover both partitions and render them bootable by BIBM? I have no backups apart from the EMBRM (created with TBWinRE). As concerns further Terabyte tools to handle the situation: I own IFW, IFL and TBOSDTS.