Fedora 23 not bootable
Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:54 pm
I want to test Fedora and install it on my hard drive so I read the knowledge base Linux Installation Notes: Fedora. Since I have not limited the primaries on my main HD, I decided to disconnect all my drives and connect a spare, clean 120GB SSD and install Fedora23x64 on it rather than mess up my main HD (a 1TB SSD). I went through the KB article with no major problems and ended up with a Fedora system which was booting up with BIBM and all seemed well. I then reconnected just my backup hard drive, a 3 TB Toshiba, and created an image of the Fedora root and swap partitions as separate images. I then reconnected all 4 of my HDs in the same order that BIBM had before I began this mission. Then I restored my Fedora root and swap images to my main SSD and added Fedora to the Boot Menu making sure root and swap were both filled. (I didn’t fill the BIBM partition.) All of my operating systems will start except for Fedora. I got the error “EMBRM load: EMBR is missing…”etc. I then went back into BIBM and changed the Boot Menu to boot from the 120GB SSD and got the same error (that instance of BIBM was still on the first partition and MBR of the 120GB SSD but hidden). I thought maybe Grub2 was installed in the wrong place, so I changed Boot Menu back to my main SSD and booted into Fedora, got the failure, and then booted into my Grub2 flash drive. I got as far as the search part in Grub Article #4: How to Reinstall Grub2. The search returned that Grub.cfg was on HD0, no msdos partition. This implies to me that it is on the MBR, but I’m a Linux newbie. This is where I stopped. Let me add that my main SSD has no limited partitions and my 120GB SSD has limited partitions…don’t think this is an issue, but thought I would mention it. I feel I am doing something wrong in BIBM as it looks to me like a BIBM error message, not a Linux error being unable to find Grub2. When I installed Fedora on my 120GB SSD, BIBM was at the beginning of my SSD and the LBA information for root was START=16065 (well above 63) and END=61448264, but I still copied the 64 blocks and reinstalled them at the end. Was this my error? I have a working Windows 10 system, so this is not a panic situation, but any suggestions will be welcome.