Page 1 of 1

Byte for Byte failed

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:05 am
by DavidA
[attachment=0]Image for Windows.JPG[/attachment]I am trying to backup a laptop using Image for Windows V.2.9.7.5. The drive is 240GB, SSD, single partition, 107GB free, Win 7 SP1. The destination is an external 5TB USB3 drive. The first time I backed up, using Byte for Byte verification it worked perfectly. The second time it ended with "Byte for Byte comparison failed." (See attached.) No other programs were running. So I tried again, and it failed again. Same drives, no significant changes to the system.

How do I go about trouble-shooting????

Thanks

David

Re: Byte for Byte failed

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:59 am
by TeraByte Support
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=151


"DavidA" wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Image for Windows.JPG
I am trying to backup a
laptop using Image for Windows V.2.9.7.5. The drive is 240GB, SSD, single
partition, 107GB free, Win 7 SP1. The destination is an external 5TB USB3
drive. The first time I backed up, using Byte for Byte verification it
worked perfectly. The second time it ended with "Byte for Byte comparison
failed." (See attached.) No other programs were running. So I tried again,
and it failed again. Same drives, no significant changes to the system.

How do I go about trouble-shooting????

Thanks

David


Re: Byte for Byte failed

Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:52 pm
by DavidA
I found a solution. The back-up drive was plugged into a USB3 hub, and I use it that way every day without any problems. However, when I moved the drive to a port on the laptop the Byte-for-Byte back-up worked perfectly.

David

Re: Byte for Byte failed

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:51 am
by mjnelson99
You might try a different brand of hub. I regularly image to a hard
drive attached to a USB 3 hub and can validate using IFW.
Mary

On 1/4/2016 3:52 PM, DavidA wrote:
> I found a solution. The back-up drive was plugged into a USB3 hub,

and I use it that way every day without any problems. However, when

I moved the drive to a port on the laptop the Byte-for-Byte back-up
worked perfectly.
>
> David
>
>

Re: Byte for Byte failed

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:48 pm
by DrTeeth
On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 18:51:31 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
MJNelson disturbed my reverie and wrote:

> I regularly image to a hard
>drive attached to a USB 3 hub and can validate using IFW.

Same here.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Re: Byte for Byte failed

Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:10 pm
by mjnelson99
It occurred to me to wonder if the problem hub is powered.
I know my own experience with unpowered hubs was not good.
Mary

On 1/5/2016 2:48 PM, DrTeeth wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jan 2016 18:51:31 PST, just as I was about to take a herb,
> MJNelson
>
> disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>
>> I regularly image to a hard
>> drive attached to a USB 3 hub and can validate using IFW.
>
> Same here.
>