New User has some questions on Windows 10 copy
Posted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:14 pm
I have new windows 10 computer and wanted to clone the new, clean hard drive. It had a C drive and D drive which was HP recovery section. I had initially tried to make a system image using windows 10 but not sure if it was successful...that is why I am trying Terbyte.
I plugged into USB a 2T external drive and selected "copy". After about 12 minutes the copy was complete1. I had expected to see 1 file..copy of C but it showed 5 items....all of which I have found info online to explain what these partitions are. 1.EFI system which was about same size as original. 2. Microsoft reserved partition which was about same size. 3. c: windows which had doubled in size from 937255 mib to 1875565 mib ...and was now shown as F {same drive letter as external drive}. 4. WINRE which was about same size. 5. Recovery {the HP restore section} which had increased in size from 15491 mib to 31000 mib.
Why did the HP Recovery partition double in size? Same with windows partition doubling in size?
If I want to copy the drive again...say in couple months after new software added and everything working well.....do I just copy the C...windows partition? I know there would be no need to copy the HP Restore partition, but do the other 3 change and should be imaged?
I would think.....I would just do an image of C only?
Thanks for your help.
I plugged into USB a 2T external drive and selected "copy". After about 12 minutes the copy was complete1. I had expected to see 1 file..copy of C but it showed 5 items....all of which I have found info online to explain what these partitions are. 1.EFI system which was about same size as original. 2. Microsoft reserved partition which was about same size. 3. c: windows which had doubled in size from 937255 mib to 1875565 mib ...and was now shown as F {same drive letter as external drive}. 4. WINRE which was about same size. 5. Recovery {the HP restore section} which had increased in size from 15491 mib to 31000 mib.
Why did the HP Recovery partition double in size? Same with windows partition doubling in size?
If I want to copy the drive again...say in couple months after new software added and everything working well.....do I just copy the C...windows partition? I know there would be no need to copy the HP Restore partition, but do the other 3 change and should be imaged?
I would think.....I would just do an image of C only?
Thanks for your help.