Page 1 of 2

Confused

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:16 pm
by AlanD
In an effort to determine size requirement for a new drive onto which to
restore a whole-drive image, I find the following information when
examining the original drive [using IFW]:

265,243 MiB Used
1,017,141 MiB Free
1,154,997 MiB to Restore

I also find when I actually run an IFL whole-drive Restore operation
that the last step flashes a warning that the destination drive is not
large enough[it is an empty 750 GB drive]; that 715,384 MiB is required.

I can see no correlation between these various pieces of information:

265,243 MiB Used, 1,154,997 MiB to Restore and 715,384 MiB required

Please help me interpret what I am seeing, and to understand what
information is actually pertinent to this exercise.

As a related question: I really would like to be able to use this
existing 750 GB drive. Is this possible? If not, do I need a 1TB drive?

thank you

AlanD


Re: Confused

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:01 am
by Brian K
Alan,

In IFL when you select the partition and click Information, what are the ...

MiB Used
MiB Free
MiB to Restore

Are they the same numbers you see in IFW?

When you get that error message when trying to restore to the 750 GB HD in IFL, does it work if you select the Option, Scale to Fit?

Re: Confused

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:22 am
by AlanD
On 2015-10-04 8:01 PM, Brian K wrote:
> Alan,
>
> In IFL when you select the partition and click Information, what are the ...
>
> MiB Used
> MiB Free
> MiB to Restore
>
> Are they the same numbers you see in IFW?
>
> When you get that error message when trying to restore to the 750 GB HD in IFL, does it work if you select the Option, Scale to Fit?
>
>
Thanks, Brian

Will get back to you tomorrow with the info you asked for

Re: Confused

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:25 pm
by AlanD
On 2015-10-04 8:01 PM, Brian K wrote:
> Alan,
>
> In IFL when you select the partition and click Information, what are the ...
>
> MiB Used
> MiB Free
> MiB to Restore
>
> Are they the same numbers you see in IFW?
>
> When you get that error message when trying to restore to the 750 GB HD in IFL, does it work if you select the Option, Scale to Fit?
>
>
Brian,
the partition information displayed in IFL BACKUP is identical to that
found in IFW.
Also, the error message is same no matter what options are selected in
RESTORE.

Just for accuracy in my reporting, the correct MiB Free should have been
1,642,453 MiB, not 1,017,141 MiB. That was my error, but has no bearing
on the issue at hand.

Re: Confused

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:36 pm
by TeraByte Support
see http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=554


"AlanD" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

On 2015-10-04 8:01 PM, Brian K wrote:
> Alan,
>
> In IFL when you select the partition and click Information, what are the
> ...
>
> MiB Used
> MiB Free
> MiB to Restore
>
> Are they the same numbers you see in IFW?
>
> When you get that error message when trying to restore to the 750 GB HD in
> IFL, does it work if you select the Option, Scale to Fit?
>
>
Brian,
the partition information displayed in IFL BACKUP is identical to that
found in IFW.
Also, the error message is same no matter what options are selected in
RESTORE.

Just for accuracy in my reporting, the correct MiB Free should have been
1,642,453 MiB, not 1,017,141 MiB. That was my error, but has no bearing
on the issue at hand.


Re: Confused

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:55 pm
by Brian K
I'm still confused by IFL saying "715,384 MiB required ". I would have expected it to say "1,154,997 MiB required".

Re: Confused

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:38 am
by AlanD
On 2015-10-05 5:55 PM, Brian K wrote:
> I'm still confused by IFL saying "715,384 MiB required ". I would have expected it to say "1,154,997 MiB required".
>
>
Well,
I am not understanding why "scale to fit" has no effect either.

Re: Confused

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:49 am
by TeraByte Support(PP)
Are there any file system errors?

Re: Confused

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:54 am
by Brian K
Alan,

What is the partition size on the original hard drive?

Re: Confused

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:04 am
by AlanD
On 2015-10-05 8:54 PM, Brian K wrote:
> Alan,
>
> What is the partition size on the original hard drive?

original hard drive (internal) is 750 GB and has four partitions,
between Apple GPT and the Bootcamp WIN 7.

The drive on which the images WERE stored is 2 TB.

The drive I am attempting to restore to is also 750 GB.
[this is a test to see if IFL will satisfactorily restore
the four partitions and allow me to boot into Apple or WIN] off of that
external drive.
*****************************************
I am now in process of trying a different approach to shrink the drive
size requirements.

I just finished reformatting and creating two partitions on the drive
used to store the images.
[as opposed to the whole 750 GB drive as before].

I then made a new image onto one of the two new partions.

I am now in process of restoring the image to the 750 GB external hard
drive I was attempting to use originally.

[no warnings about insufficient room now, and the RESTORE OP is proceeding.]

Hope the above makes sense.

more later

AlanD