Page 1 of 1

IFW 2.97e Compression

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:20 pm
by AlanD
Just looking at "Show Command" after walking through setup in IFW 2.97e,
"comp:14" no longer is shown as part of the command line when selecting
enhanced speed A.

Is that option now considered de-facto, no longer needing to be a part
of the command line?

AlanD

Re: IFW 2.97e Compression

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:48 am
by TeraByte Support
it's the default so not needed.

"AlanD" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Just looking at "Show Command" after walking through setup in IFW 2.97e,
"comp:14" no longer is shown as part of the command line when selecting
enhanced speed A.

Is that option now considered de-facto, no longer needing to be a part
of the command line?

AlanD


Re: IFW 2.97e Compression

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:03 am
by B00ze
Good day.

I know, I'm annoying with my questions, sorry!

So I'm hijacking this thread because the subject fits :-) Can someone explain these compression options a little? The best compression I assume is "Enhanced Size F" ? How does "Enhanced Speed A/B" compare to "Standard", are they even faster? I'm looking to equate the compression I get with Ghost set to "High" without having to do 7 images, time them, and then compare the size I get. With Ghost, the maximum (which you can only get via command line switch) is just not worth it, but "High" is (for me anyway).

Thanks for any advice you can give me regarding compression.

Best Regards,

Re: IFW 2.97e Compression

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:23 am
by TeraByte Support
Just use the default (enhanced speed A). The enhanced size options are
much slower and the gain typically isn't worth the time (the B/C E/F options
take much longer than A and D but don't save much of anything).




"B00ze" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Good day.

I know, I'm annoying with my questions, sorry!

So I'm hijacking this thread because the subject fits :-) Can someone
explain these compression options a little? The best compression I assume is
"Enhanced Size F" ? How does "Enhanced Speed A/B" compare to "Standard", are
they even faster? I'm looking to equate the compression I get with Ghost set
to "High" without having to do 7 images, time them, and then compare the
size I get. With Ghost, the maximum (which you can only get via command line
switch) is just not worth it, but "High" is (for me anyway).

Thanks for any advice you can give me regarding compression.

Best Regards,


Re: IFW 2.97e Compression

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:28 pm
by B00ze
Good day.

Well I ended-up testing a few options anyway. For those wondering, here are my results:
60G Windows partition with 30G of data, with lots of highly-compressible files already NTFS-Compressed.
Images created with Win 8.1 Update 1 PE disk, on a USB3 external drive.

Speed-A, 12 minutes, 21.5GB.
Speed-B, 20 minutes, 21.0GB.
Size-A, 37 minutes, 18.7GB.
Size-B, 53 minutes, 18.3GB.
Size-C, > 1Hr, 18.3GB.

For reference, Ghost @ High takes 40 minutes and produces a 19.3GB file, roughly the same as IFW Size-A setting (with IFW beating it a little). The surprise are the Enhanced Speed options; for the size you get, the speed is impressive!

Best Regards,

Re: IFW 2.97e Compression

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:03 pm
by mjnelson99
On some computers IFL can be faster than IFW.
It will run from a CD, DVD or flash drives for
Windows users.

I download the IFL CUI & GUI's w/networking.
Mary

On 9/11/2015 5:28 PM, B00ze wrote:
> Good day.
>
> Well I ended-up testing a few options anyway. For those wondering, here are my results:
> 60G Windows partition with 30G of data, with lots of highly-compressible files already NTFS-Compressed.
> Images created with Win 8.1 Update 1 PE disk, on a USB3 external drive.
>
> Speed-A, 12 minutes, 21.5GB.
> Speed-B, 20 minutes, 21.0GB.
> Size-A, 37 minutes, 18.7GB.
> Size-B, 53 minutes, 18.3GB.
> Size-C, > 1Hr, 18.3GB.
>
> For reference, Ghost @ High takes 40 minutes and produces a 19.3GB file, roughly the same as IFW Size-A setting (with IFW beating it a little). The surprise are the Enhanced Speed options; for the size you get, the speed is impressive!
>
> Best Regards,
>
>

Re: IFW 2.97e Compression

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:59 pm
by DrTeeth
On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:23:35 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
"TeraByte Support" disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

> The enhanced size options are
>much slower and the gain typically isn't worth the time (the B/C E/F options
>take much longer than A and D but don't save much of anything).

Why not remove them?
--
Cheers,

DrT

** You've never known happiness until you're married;
** but by then it is too late.

Re: IFW 2.97e Compression

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:03 am
by TeraByte Support
there are edge cases...

"DrTeeth" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

On Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:23:35 PDT, just as I was about to take a herb,
"TeraByte Support"

disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

> The enhanced size options are
>much slower and the gain typically isn't worth the time (the B/C E/F
>options
>take much longer than A and D but don't save much of anything).

Why not remove them?
--
Cheers,

DrT

** You've never known happiness until you're married;
** but by then it is too late.