Page 1 of 1

Makedisk makes non-standard ISO's?

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:40 am
by B00ze
Good day.

I am test-driving IFW, and so the first thing I did after install, was to download TBWinPE and run the script to build my PE disk (nice of you to include a batch; it lets me play with the image, to apply "Win 8.1 Update 1" for example). Anyway, once the WIM is completed, MAKEDISK runs and creates a ISO. I use PowerISO to manage ISOs and burn them, so I open the IFW.ISO in PowerISO and I get an error "Unexpected end of file found". It seems that Makedisk might not create 100% compatible ISO files...?

I'm afraid of burning that disk and find later some missing data. And I suspect I will have the same problems if I use Makedisk to build the IFL/IFD disks. I could use CDCC to burn the ISO but right now I'm burning to a re-writable disk so I have to go into PowerISO anyway to erase the disk. For now, I used Microsoft's tools to build the ISO (e.g. CopyPE.cmd and Makewinpemedia.cmd) after copying the boot.wim over, but it's a little annoying that I have to do that.

Thank you.
Best Regards,

Re: Makedisk makes non-standard ISO's?

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:25 am
by Brian K
B00ze wrote:
> in PowerISO and I get an error "Unexpected end of
> file found".

B00ze,

I just tested and saw the same error. But I don't use PowerISO to burn the TeraByte ISO. I use MakeDisk to burn the CD. Much faster and reliable.

Re: Makedisk makes non-standard ISO's?

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:40 am
by TeraByte Support
regular ole .iso, you can use burncdcc if you like, it will ask if you want
to erase it ...


"B00ze" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Good day.

I am test-driving IFW, and so the first thing I did after install, was to
download TBWinPE and run the script to build my PE disk (nice of you to
include a batch; it lets me play with the image, to apply "Win 8.1 Update 1"
for example). Anyway, once the WIM is completed, MAKEDISK runs and creates a
ISO. I use PowerISO to manage ISOs and burn them, so I open the IFW.ISO in
PowerISO and I get an error "Unexpected end of file found". It seems that
Makedisk might not create 100% compatible ISO files...?

I'm afraid of burning that disk and find later some missing data. And I
suspect I will have the same problems if I use Makedisk to build the IFL/IFD
disks. I could use CDCC to burn the ISO but right now I'm burning to a
re-writable disk so I have to go into PowerISO anyway to erase the disk. For
now, I used Microsoft's tools to build the ISO (e.g. CopyPE.cmd and
Makewinpemedia.cmd) after copying the boot.wim over, but it's a little
annoying that I have to do that.

Thank you.
Best Regards,


Re: Makedisk makes non-standard ISO's?

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:39 pm
by Bob Coleman
B00ze wrote:
> And I suspect I will have the same problems if I use Makedisk to build the
> IFL/IFD disks.


I can't comment on ISOs, CDCC, or WinRE/PE, but you shouldn't have any problem using MAKEDISK to build the IFL/IFD discs if you have MAKEDISK write directly to the disc.

Re: Makedisk makes non-standard ISO's?

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:43 am
by B00ze
Good day.

Thinking more about this, I think the ISO might be fine except that there is a size value somewhere and it's not correct (or else PowerISO is wrong, but I'd have to send them the ISO; I'll think about it).

To all who suggested using Makedisk to burn directly: Lol, funny how it never occurred to me :-) It even has a speed selector (which is nice; burning Linux ISOs at top speed and seeing them report error after error when booting made me prefer slow burns). Thanks.

Re: Makedisk makes non-standard ISO's?

Posted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:25 am
by Brian K
For what it's worth, UltraISO doesn't give an error message. PowerISO does.

Re: Makedisk makes non-standard ISO's?

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:42 am
by B00ze
UPDATE:
Confirmed with PowerISO support that this is a bug in PowerISO.
Will be fixed in the next release.
Regards,