First Impressions - A few questions about Image
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:00 am
Good day.
Finished reading the Image manual. It shows this is a tool written by programmers - powerful, but with lots of almost irrelevant options (drive geometry anyone?) and a very basic GUI where the user is, for example, allowed to select mutually-exclusive options (i.e. check-boxes instead of radio buttons). You should really hire a GUI expert and take Image "to the next level" - the technology is there, but the UI really suffers from option bloat. Anyway, I don't want to bash what looks like a good tool, and I will have to use it if I want to image a whole EMBR disk. So I have some questions; can you help please?
1-What's the difference between PHYLock and VSS? Why would I use PHYLock over VSS? I don't understand why PHYLock is even there; does it fix issues with VSS? I'm debating whether I should include it at all when I install IFW...
2-Incremental -> I'm curious as to how IFW stores the chain of incrementals for later retrieval. Does each incremental store the filename of the previous step? Meaning I cannot rename backups once they are referenced by a later backup, but I *can* have completely different names for each incremental?
3-Incremental -> Appendix B in the manual seems to imply that if we want to restore a backup that has 3 incrementals afer a full, we need to restore the full, then each incremental in the correct order - this isn't true with Image is it? Image is quite capable of restoring everything correctly if I point it to the 3rd incremental? I've never seen a backup program that can't figure out the chain by itself, as implied in Appendix B, well maybe Backup Exec?
4-Restore Options: Automatic Boot Partition Update – quote "If this option is enabled, Image for Windows will automatically update the boot partition (including an EFI system partition) when a full drive image is restored" end-quote --- I don't get it. If I do a full disk restore, then there is no need to update the boot partition (e.g. the BCD) since it is included in the image and restored. Perhaps this is an option needed when resizing partitions on restore?
5-Restore Options: Scale to Fit vs Scale to Target is not clear. Why 2 options that do the same thing?
Thank you.
Best Regards,
Finished reading the Image manual. It shows this is a tool written by programmers - powerful, but with lots of almost irrelevant options (drive geometry anyone?) and a very basic GUI where the user is, for example, allowed to select mutually-exclusive options (i.e. check-boxes instead of radio buttons). You should really hire a GUI expert and take Image "to the next level" - the technology is there, but the UI really suffers from option bloat. Anyway, I don't want to bash what looks like a good tool, and I will have to use it if I want to image a whole EMBR disk. So I have some questions; can you help please?
1-What's the difference between PHYLock and VSS? Why would I use PHYLock over VSS? I don't understand why PHYLock is even there; does it fix issues with VSS? I'm debating whether I should include it at all when I install IFW...
2-Incremental -> I'm curious as to how IFW stores the chain of incrementals for later retrieval. Does each incremental store the filename of the previous step? Meaning I cannot rename backups once they are referenced by a later backup, but I *can* have completely different names for each incremental?
3-Incremental -> Appendix B in the manual seems to imply that if we want to restore a backup that has 3 incrementals afer a full, we need to restore the full, then each incremental in the correct order - this isn't true with Image is it? Image is quite capable of restoring everything correctly if I point it to the 3rd incremental? I've never seen a backup program that can't figure out the chain by itself, as implied in Appendix B, well maybe Backup Exec?
4-Restore Options: Automatic Boot Partition Update – quote "If this option is enabled, Image for Windows will automatically update the boot partition (including an EFI system partition) when a full drive image is restored" end-quote --- I don't get it. If I do a full disk restore, then there is no need to update the boot partition (e.g. the BCD) since it is included in the image and restored. Perhaps this is an option needed when resizing partitions on restore?
5-Restore Options: Scale to Fit vs Scale to Target is not clear. Why 2 options that do the same thing?
Thank you.
Best Regards,