Page 1 of 4

Remote drive backup problem

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:28 pm
by John clark
I'm having a problem in trying to back up a remote 3TB hard drive that has 182 gb of music files. I backed up the drive a good while ago and the resultant backup file came to 98 gb. The next time I tried to backup the drive, the file size came to 8 mb. These 2 backup files seem to be corrupted and not readable. TBIview crashes when I try to access either file.
The remote Segate HD uses a USB 3.0 port, another remote drive that I have is plugged into a USB 2.0 port and I have no problem in backing up or reading this backup file. All files on the remote segate drive are accessible and I'm able to read and write to the drive. Is there anything in the setup that I have missed that is causing the problem?

System info
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0610, 12/10/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 6.33 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 14.2 GB

Remote Drive information
Description Disk drive
Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
Model Seagate Backup+ Desk USB Device
Bytes/Sector 4096
Media Loaded Yes
Media Type Removable media
Partitions 1
SCSI Bus Not Available
SCSI Logical Unit Not Available
SCSI Port Not Available
SCSI Target ID Not Available
Sectors/Track 63
Size 2.73 TB (3,000,582,144,000 bytes)
Total Cylinders 45,600
Total Sectors 732,564,000
Total Tracks 11,628,000
Tracks/Cylinder 255
Partition Disk #4, Partition #0
Partition Size 2.73 TB (3,000,579,915,776 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 8,388,608 bytes

Re: Remote drive backup problem

Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:43 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
Does IFW report the partition details correctly when selecting for backup (used space, free space, etc.)?

Re: Remote drive backup problem

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:46 am
by John clark
In window to select hard drive to backup I selected the drive for details, the results:
0 MiB Used
2861576 MiB Free
2861576 MiB to Restore
LBA 2048-732565503
Device CHS: 1023/254/63
Device sector size:4096
Device ID: 0xB9456D9C

FYI: I was using a software to find a malware and in the info returned on the all drives i got this info on the Seagate.
"Attempted reading MBR returned 0 bytes.
Could not read MBR for disk 3."

Re: Remote drive backup problem

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:06 am
by TeraByte Support
What are you using? IFD/IFL/IFW? What version are you using?

Does the (source) drive type show MBR or EMBR (or GPT)?


"John clark" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

In window to select hard drive to backup I selected the drive for details,
the results:
0 MiB Used
2861576 MiB Free
2861576 MiB to Restore
LBA 2048-732565503
Device CHS: 1023/254/63
Device sector size:4096
Device ID: 0xB9456D9C

FYI: I was using a software to find a malware and in the info returned on
the all drives i got this info on the Seagate.
"Attempted reading MBR returned 0 bytes.
Could not read MBR for disk 3."


Re: Remote drive backup problem

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:13 pm
by John clark
Sorry should have said that I'm using IFW (Ver 2.90. )

Source drive shows:
HD4-MBR (2861588 MiB)(B9456D9C)
(G:)Music Volume (2861588 MiB) HPFS/NTFS (01)

Re: Remote drive backup problem

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:38 pm
by TeraByte Support
start with updating to the latest version.

run chkdsk /f on your g: drive.


"John clark" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Sorry should have said that I'm using IFW (Ver 2.90. )

Source drive shows:
HD4-MBR (2861588 MiB)(B9456D9C)
(G:)Music Volume (2861588 MiB) HPFS/NTFS (01)


Re: Remote drive backup problem

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:13 pm
by John clark
Ran "CHKDSK /f".
Will download update tonight but I don't think that that will help. The previous version and current version of IFW had the same problem with the remote drive.
Before I forget: Thanks for your help.

Re: Remote drive backup problem

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:12 am
by TeraByte Support
Are you sure it didn't say:

2861576 MiB Used

Can't really be 0 used and 2861576 to restore.

"John clark" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

In window to select hard drive to backup I selected the drive for details,
the results:
0 MiB Used
2861576 MiB Free
2861576 MiB to Restore
LBA 2048-732565503
Device CHS: 1023/254/63
Device sector size:4096
Device ID: 0xB9456D9C

FYI: I was using a software to find a malware and in the info returned on
the all drives i got this info on the Seagate.
"Attempted reading MBR returned 0 bytes.
Could not read MBR for disk 3."


Re: Remote drive backup problem

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:43 pm
by John clark
Copied verbatim, says 0 used even though there is 182Gib of files on the drive.

Re: Remote drive backup problem

Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:01 am
by TeraByte Support
can you email a screen shot and partinfo listing (export) (installed with
ifw).

"John clark" wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Copied verbatim, says 0 used even though there is 182Gib of files on the
drive.