Transfering my current SSD boot drive to new SSD boot drive
Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:39 pm
Hello Terabyte.
Been ages since I last posted to you folks (was during the USENET days). Anyway, it's been so long since I've done this that I thought I should check here before proceeding. I am a owner/user of BootIt BM 1.25a and IFD/IFW. My homebuilt computer system is a two-year old Intel I7 with a modern, MSI motherboard. When I built the system I decided to install a 120GB Intel SSD as the boot and Windows 7 OS drive, and keep most of my other data on two separate 1TB HDD's.
I regularly back up my Win7 boot drive (ie, the SSD) and also my two HDD's using IFD. As my SSD boot drive is now almost 90% full, I want to change it out for a new, 512GB SSD. Problem is I'm not quite 100% sure how to do this. Is it just a matter of connecting my new SSD to another SATA connection, booting into BootIt BM and then copying the image from my old SSD to the new one? Something tells me this won't work, and hope the fine folks at Terabyte will advise. Sorry, I looked in the FAQ section but did not see a write-up on this specific topic.
Can someone there please advise? Thank you.
Been ages since I last posted to you folks (was during the USENET days). Anyway, it's been so long since I've done this that I thought I should check here before proceeding. I am a owner/user of BootIt BM 1.25a and IFD/IFW. My homebuilt computer system is a two-year old Intel I7 with a modern, MSI motherboard. When I built the system I decided to install a 120GB Intel SSD as the boot and Windows 7 OS drive, and keep most of my other data on two separate 1TB HDD's.
I regularly back up my Win7 boot drive (ie, the SSD) and also my two HDD's using IFD. As my SSD boot drive is now almost 90% full, I want to change it out for a new, 512GB SSD. Problem is I'm not quite 100% sure how to do this. Is it just a matter of connecting my new SSD to another SATA connection, booting into BootIt BM and then copying the image from my old SSD to the new one? Something tells me this won't work, and hope the fine folks at Terabyte will advise. Sorry, I looked in the FAQ section but did not see a write-up on this specific topic.
Can someone there please advise? Thank you.