Page 1 of 2
newbie: confused?
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:59 am
by elite
Hi there,
newbie here so be easy on me will ya...
My purpose is trying to make a full copy of my current hard drive (including my windows copy) into my new blank hard drive that I just bought.
Now I see 2 possible option for terabyte for doing this job which are
Backup this computer to an alternate drive
or
Copy a hard drive to another hard drive.
which option should I chose for best serve my purpose? and what are the different between the two?
thanks in advance...
Re: newbie: confused?
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:52 am
by TeraByte Support
Enable Simple Operations.
Do a "copy" if you want to copy hard drive to hard drive.
Do a "backup" if you want to backup to some drive then later "restore" to
the new drive.
"elite" wrote in message news:
[email protected]...
Hi there,
newbie here so be easy on me will ya...
My purpose is trying to make a full copy of my current hard drive (including
my windows copy) into my new blank hard drive that I just bought.
Now I see 2 possible option for terabyte for doing this job which are
Backup this computer to an alternate drive
or
Copy a hard drive to another hard drive.
which option should I chose for best serve my purpose? and what are the
different between the two?
thanks in advance...
Re: newbie: confused?
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:13 am
by elite
when you say use copy for copying hard drive to hard drive... how can I exactly do that?
My new drive is still in bare condition, and my current drive still plugged into my laptop, and my laptop only have one SATA slot..
I guess that leaves me to do the "backup" option by doing the backup into my external WD drive and at the same time I will need to make a TBWinRE boot disk? and then do hard drive replacement of my laptop with the new one, and boot using TBWinRE Boot Disk that I made earlier and restore my new drive from my external WD drive? correct me if I'm wrong?
Re: newbie: confused?
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:45 am
by Brian K
elite wrote:
>
> My new drive is still in bare condition, and my current drive still plugged
> into my laptop, and my laptop only have one SATA slot..
>
> I will need to make a
> TBWinRE boot disk? and then do hard drive replacement of my laptop with the
> new one, and boot using TBWinRE Boot Disk that I made earlier and restore
> my new drive from my external WD drive? correct me if I'm wrong?
You can use any of the recovery media for the image restore. They all work. TBWinPE, IFL or IFD.
Re: newbie: confused?
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:57 pm
by elite
the thing is when I tried to make a boot disk with TBWinPE or RE what should I fill the license name with as well as product key?
My Windows originally came with my SONY Laptop, and have no where written its product key?!
Re: newbie: confused?
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:14 pm
by TeraByte Support(PP)
The "product" license name and key is for Image for Windows (not Windows). If it's not provided (or it's incorrect) then Image for Windows will run in trial mode.
Re: newbie: confused?
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:23 pm
by elite
I have no idea what are you referring image for windows (not windows).
how can I know what is the product key for my windows when it originally came with the laptop???
Re: newbie: confused?
Posted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:44 pm
by mjnelson99
There is supposed to be a sticker on the computer with a product key.
You can also Google Keyfinder for programs that can get them for Windows
as well as Office.
Mary
On 6/19/2015 1:23 PM, elite wrote:
> I have no idea what are you referring image for windows (not windows).
>
> how can I know what is the product key for my windows when it originally came with the laptop???
>
>
Re: newbie: confused?
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:01 am
by Bob Coleman
elite wrote:
> I have no idea what are you referring image for windows (not windows).
>
> how can I know what is the product key for my windows when it originally
> came with the laptop??
You are using Image for Windows for all this, right? Have you bought it? If so, you will have a product key for it. Paul is saying that you use that key, not the key from Windows. However, I'm a little bit confused too. Your product key issues seem to be related to building a TBWinPE or TBWinRE disc. I'm not sure if the comment about using the Image for Windows product key really pertains to that process or not. It may. I simply don't know.
My advice is to simplify your life, forget TBWinPE/TBWinRE, use Image for DOS (IFD), which should have come with Image for Windows, to do the restore.
Re: newbie: confused?
Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:12 am
by Bob Coleman
After reading some stuff in another thread, I'm suspecting that the advice to use the Image for Windows product key, not the Windows OS product key, when building the TBWinPE/TBWinRE disc was relevant advice.
My advice to simplify your overall task (forget about TBWinPE/TBWinRE) still stands.