Cloning partitions with the same LBA Offset
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:11 pm
Recently I tested BootitBM/Image for DOS Trial in VMWare for cloning boot partitions of various systems. I tried to retain LBA Offset because OS not always boot from shifted partitions. Here are my results:
1. LBA Offset 63 sectors (as xp fdisk does) - successfully cloned using Image for DOS, no alignment at all set for target drive
2. LBA Offset 2048 sectors (as win7 diskpart does) - successfully cloned using Image for DOS, only Align for 1 MiB set for target drive
3. LBA Offset 4096 sectors (as Paragon Alignment Tool does) - cannot clone using Image for DOS, but I am able to make it directly in BootitBM Partition Work whle setting both options Align for 1 MiB AND Offset 1 MB.
I tested various other switches (Same target system etc) with no success. Here is my question:
Is there a simple way to clone at least first partitions exactly as they lay on source drive (retain the LBA Offset regardless of its size)? For mass deployment, only one set of commandline settings is advantage.
Any suggestions are welcome.
1. LBA Offset 63 sectors (as xp fdisk does) - successfully cloned using Image for DOS, no alignment at all set for target drive
2. LBA Offset 2048 sectors (as win7 diskpart does) - successfully cloned using Image for DOS, only Align for 1 MiB set for target drive
3. LBA Offset 4096 sectors (as Paragon Alignment Tool does) - cannot clone using Image for DOS, but I am able to make it directly in BootitBM Partition Work whle setting both options Align for 1 MiB AND Offset 1 MB.
I tested various other switches (Same target system etc) with no success. Here is my question:
Is there a simple way to clone at least first partitions exactly as they lay on source drive (retain the LBA Offset regardless of its size)? For mass deployment, only one set of commandline settings is advantage.
Any suggestions are welcome.